Wednesday, November 05, 2014

I'm CooCoo for KokoFit

I think I've mentioned that I've not been getting to the gym. And I think I mentioned that I realized I'm bored with my current gym.  So a friend suggested I try this gym in Redmond called KokoFit.  It sounds funky, and it is funky. 

It's a digital gym.  Really there's no other way to explain it.  I went on Monday for a courtesy session to be introduced to the gym and their methodology.  The place was fantastic. Friendly fitness gal to help me, ORANGE is their color - which happens to be my color this year, and clean, inviting atmosphere.

Fitness Gal (FG) gives you what is essentially a jump drive that has all your data.  Once I had that, Fitness Gal (FG) got me started by having me step on this machine. The machine basically, somehow, figured out your BMI. It sets a baseline of your muscle weight and your BMI - the goal being the BMI goes down and the muscle weight goes up.  The machine fascinates me. You basically get on it with bare feet, grab these metal bars and it just miraculously figures out the rest. Fascinating. Ahhh science and technology!

Once you've done that, FG got me a iPod. These iPods are there for the members and they are essentially set up to walk you through your cardio work out.  For me, for today, I was warming up on the treadmill.  We plugged in my jump drive, and turned on the iPod. Mike - the voice on the iPod - literally walked me through a 15 minute cardio warm up.  It was supposed to be a warm up for beginners, but sheesh...I gotta tell ya...I couldn't do it all to the extent he did. And I'm ok with that. Some day I will be able to do it all.

After the treadmill workout is complete, all the data basically downloads into the jump drive. The speed, the incline, my heart rate, the time etc.  This is important for later.

Then FG moved me on to the weight machine. One big mega machine will all the weight workout you'll do. So no moving machines.  Yay.

Today was essentially a strength test for me, so after I plugged in my jump drive, the touch screen walks you through testing your main muscles.  It told me everything. It told me the exercise to do, the way to position the chair and back rest, the amount of weight (and oh by the way if you put the weight pin in the wrong weight, it tells you), the amount of reps etc.  The cool thing is it has a pace bar that you're supposed to keep up with. Essentially it's determined how fast or slow you should be lifting the weight to get the best results for you.  Then you get a score at the end telling you how well you kept on pace. It's totally like a video game...and I love that I spent more time thinking about keeping pace, than thinking I was working out.

Then if you choose you can do another cardio, or you can choose to be done. It's all up to you.

Once you're done, you take your jump drive and put it into another machine and it downloads all your data.  You get a personal web page that tells you everything you've done and what your next work out will be.  In case you happen to be someone like me that LOVES to know what's coming. And yes, I like to peek at my Christmas presents before Christmas day, why do you ask?

At the end of the day, this is about $15 more expensive to the gym I'm currently a member of. However, I pay for that gym every month and don't use it. So I'm throwing money away.  I'm hoping KokoFit will be the kick start I need to get to the gym.  It's new. It's pretty. It's fun. It's interesting. It's all the things I think I need right now. And after all, medical bills down the road will be way more expensive than this if I don't do something.

0 comments: