Thursday, November 13, 2014

Top 10 Guilty Pleasures


In an attempt to hit a blog everyday this month, I've had to dig deep into my blog topic library to find something interesting to write about. As I was going through, many got deleted with a sigh and a "What the hell?" But this one struck me as something kinda interesting. 

Come on … admit it. You have guilty pleasures. We all do. And really I think many of what used to be "guilty pleasures" aren't as taboo these days.  And the definition of “guilty pleasure” I think has changed over the years.  Some things were way more taboo 20 years ago, then they are today. For example, watching TV. I don’t see that as a guilty pleasure, I see that as part of my everyday life – and I’m ok with that. I suppose some folks who are more with it than I may consider TV a guilty pleasure, but it’s not on my list. 

The definition of guilty pleasure really depends on who you talk to. Some, like me, think they are things that aren’t really “taboo” but are things I love to take part in, but am embarrassed to say I do them at all. Others will think a “guilty pleasure” is something out of the norm, almost immoral that people take part in. P*rn for example is one of those guilty pleasures. 

Years ago when I worked at The Cat Shack (not its real name) one of our Christmas party themes was "Guilty Pleasures". It was a gift exchange and the gift had to be your guilty pleasure. You can imagine what types of things showed up.  My guilty pleasure at the time will be on the list below, but I'm happy to report I no longer partake in this guilty pleasure. 

So for your convenience here is my list of 10 Guilty Pleasures. Not in any order of importance.

  1. Donnettes – I just love those little chocolate Hostess Donnettes. I have been known to buy an entire box of them and finish them in a day or two. They’re just so darn good.

  2. The Making of Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders TV show – I admit, when I first saw this on TV I watched it because I was sure it was going to be an absolute train wreck. Turns out that this organization really does have high standards for their cheerleaders, and the show is pretty darn interesting.  The entire process of what these girls go through is fascinating. I do, often, roll my eyes when they say things like, “Its my only dream and I would just die if I don’t make it.” Really? You’re ONLY dream.

  3. Enquirer or other rag magazines – You know the type. “Alien found in the Bronx”. “Child grew to 4 years old in mom’s womb” – these type of magazines I used to LOVE to get and read. In fact, Blueberry and I would often grab a handful of them and read them out loud on road trips. I’ve given up this particular guilty pleasure as I can find that stuff on the Internet.

  4. Smut novels – Oh yes…the “Romance” novel. I got hooked on one particular writer in college and when a new book comes out I am Johnny on the spot to buy it and read it immediately. I’ve since branched out some, but admit I particularly like the historical romance novels. And as I’ve gotten older I tend to just flip past the actual sex scenes cuz they just are so ridiculous.

  5. Fried foods – see this is one that I think isn’t as much of a guilty pleasure as it used to be. But man, put something fried in front of me and you’d better step away.

  6. Being lazy – sometimes on the weekends I don’t move my butt off the couch and I don’t change out of my jammies. And sometimes during the week I get home and do the same thing. THIS has changed a lot in the past couple of months as sitting and being lazy adds to the girth.  Now the idea of being lazy does feel like a guilty pleasure and not the standard.

  7. Listening to a guy with an accent talk – so this really depends on the accent. Latin accents, British accents, Scottish accents, Irish accents – all fair game. US Southern accents on men are somewhat attractive to me and I’ve been known to swoon at times over them.

  8. Bubble gum pop songs – I can’t help myself. They are usually really catchy and have really good hooks. Those type of songs totally get stuck in my head. I’d add to this particular guilty pleasure that I listen to Barry Manillo on occasion and I listen to Kenny Rogers on occasion.

  9. Pizza – This is a new guilty pleasure. In my previous life of eating whatever I want, I never felt guilty eating pizza. I’ve not had pizza in 8 weeks and I’ve gotta say, I’m starting to crave it. I will soon break down and treat myself to a slice or two of pizza.  This will now be on my guilty pleasure list.

  10. Salted Caramel Latte – OMG…they’re really only available this time of year. And OMG they are so sickly sweet and so full of calories (even if you try it with NF milk it’s still not great) but once or twice during the holiday season I look forward to my Salted Caramel Latte in a Starbucks Red cup.

So there ya go. My list of guilt pleasures. What are some of your guilty pleasures?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ooh, i like this idea for a blog post. though i don't know if i can come up with 10. i'm pretty boring.

Jenn from WA said...

Honestly I didn't think I could come up with 10.