Thursday, January 12, 2006

Let the Games begin

You know I'm constantly amused at people in Seattle. As you are all aware of, we've been drenched in rain for several days in a row...25 to be exact. And here's what I've noticed.

Generally speaking, the first 2 weeks people were discouraged and a bit depressed due to all the rain. Now this I don't understand. Having spent most of my formative years in Seattle, rain is a part of life here. Nothing stops due to rain. If you wait for sun, you'll be waiting a long time. Especially in the winter months.

Now that we're on 25 days straight and the folks in the great Northwest are being riddled with media announcements that we have "just a few more days to hit the record." Which may seem odd to most of the world, but here in Seattle, I guess hitting a record like the most consecutive wet days is a big thing.

So here's the current state of mind: "LET'S BEAT THE RECORD." Yes. Its become a competition. The real competitive nature of the people here is out and brewing. (no pun intended with regards to Seattle also being the Java capital of the world).

I sit her mildly amused at the fact that people are now HOPING we beat this record. No lie. The news last night showed a graphic that showed the most days of rain and the year. We are now 3rd from the record. Tomorrow we'll be second from the record. The "record" being 33 straight days of rain.

And as is tradition for the Seattle media, ALL the big news is the rain. Well, and consequently the resulting floods. But none the less, the drama brought forth by the media is killing me.

I love Seattle!

3 comments:

Vicky said...

I glad to hear that Southern California "news" reporters aren't the only non-news reporters out there. A chance of rain down here and we're all on STORM WATCH 2006!

Al & Jo said...

You even hit the NATIONAL NEWS...showed Issaquah floating away! I can only assume that it is still raining. My, I guess someone has to have the "record" for the most consecutive days of rain...why, I don't know! I would much rather have the record for the most consecutive days of sun...which I think we are in the running for. 80 and sunny today. And don't call me a smart ass...reserve that one for Ken!
:-)

Ken La Salle said...

I just saw Issaquah on the news. It appears to have floated by Newport Beach. All the Washingtonians got off to enjoy the sunshine... all the Californians jumped on in the hopes of affordable housing...