Thursday, July 17, 2008

Got a package full of wishes, A time machine, a magic wand, A globe made out of gold

Ahoy maties, happy Thursday.

Do note that I updated my honor roll to the right (Thanks to The Yank for helping me do just that). Yes, that's correct, I'm at 71% of my overall goal. I still stare at that number and am in total amazement that I know so many charitable people who support me in my current challenge. Getting to our minimum goal was always a concern, but BigBro kept telling us it would be no problem, and indeed it wasn’t. Someday I might have to start listening to him. On a side note, Saving Second Base as a team is at 73% and $10,888.73. Go team!

See here's the thing, I think I've been losing the mojo, losing my inspiration, losing my desire to continue walking. I'm burnt out and we have 10 very short weeks left. Now, don't get me wrong, I have no desire to stop what I'm doing. No way, it's too important. So I decided I need a small reminder as to why I'm doing this. What on earth would possess me to take part in the "boldest breast cancer event in history" and spend so much time training to walk a crazy 60 miles in 3 days? And so I started searching; soul searching and Internet searching.

It didn't take me long to remember. Oh yah, women around the world. Daughters, mothers, sisters, wives, all of them. In fact, what helped me realize this was Mrs. PMDude. (PMDude made a vital mistake in getting his wife and I together so now we chat some.) Anyhow, she wrote and asked how it was going with the training. I responded, and then she responded with, "As I write, I realize that you are walking for me! You are walking for my girls. My girls ...you never know what the future holds for them. Wow, Jen! This is HUGE!! Thank you for making things better for me and my girls!!" Sniff sniff!

Okay okay. Stop with the waterworks already. I’ve turned into one ball of mush.

So that email led me to youtube. I have a love / hate relationship with youtube. I love that you can find just about anything out there, but hate that you can find just about anything out there. So I did a search on breast cancer 3 day. Oh my giddy aunt was there a lot of videos. I started clicking through them and watching and misting. (not to be confused with crying). So many inspirational videos of the event, the closing ceremonies, and 3Day TV ads.

I also found on the 3Day website, videos. Oh. My. God. Blueberry and I watched one the other night that I’ve now seen a half dozen times and ALWAYS cry.

And then I found this video. Do not click on it if you have an emotional bone in your body. Melissa Etheridge nailed the emotion I think.

I had to change some of her lyrics, and to remind me again why I’m taking this crazy challenge. It saves one person, it’s worth everything you go through leading up to and during that walk.

I walk for hope
I walk to feel
I walk for the truth for all that is real
I walk for your mother, your sister, your wife
I walk for you and me my friend
I walk for life

And lastly, these words from a friend, “Rest if you must, but don’t quit.”

So in celebration of my renewed endeavor to give it my all (by the way, I need to average 25 miles a week to meet my 500 training miles goal), I bought this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG.......More Pink!!!!

You are finally showing your smarts........."Listen to BigBro"..........Oh, by the way....we need to average 30-50 a week to prep.....with the big 18 & 15 back-to-back real soon.

BigBro

Al & Jo said...

You know we are all behind you, bigbro and blueberry. Just remember why you are doing this. You are a strong person and you can do this...just remember grandma and her ant...the named CAN.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you've found the inspiration to continue.

For a little extra boost, visit the official Breast Cancer 3-Day Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Breast-Cancer-3-Day/19213555391 or MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/officialbreastcancer3day