Saturday, July 05, 2008

With the brim pulled way down low

Another 4th of the July tucked safely away in the memory books. Though mine was fun, it wasn't so memorable, well except ....

BigBro and I met another group for a training walk yesterday. The walk was supposed to be 13 miles, but it turned out (according to mine pedometer) to be just over 11.5. Of course that could be because we were in the back of the pack, (read: we couldn't see the other walkers ahead). "Why?" you ask. Well because we had to stop to do a little medic stop.

We had a first yesterday. I got a !#$% blister on the back of my heel. I've walked 200 miles in these shoes and have never got a blister. And quite frankly, I don't want another. Those things hurt! But never fear, that blister pack I've been carrying for 278 miles of training. Yes you read that correctly - I think I've done my math right - I may have missed a few walks in there, but still that's quite a lot of walking. Thankfully I had said blister pack who served me well. BigBro The Medic helped me fix the second skin/band aid/moleskin combo to cover the blister so we could continue.

We walked through a neighborhood here in Seattle that I've never really been in or through. Nice little community and a good solid walk. One massive hill in the beginning, and a few small ones throughout, but overall a good walk.

The big news though is the balls of my right foot. Previously I may have casually mentioned that the balls of my right foot tends to get very sore at/around 10 miles +. Yes mom (and Chicken Lady) I am calling the doctor. Anyhow, I had purchased those gel inserts we women have been known to use for high heels. I thought why not try them. I put these little gems in both shoes (It's possible this is what caused the blister on the left foot. The inserts change the dynamics of the shoes so there's a chance.) Anyhow, while my feet hurt yesterday - it was the "OMG I've been on my feet for so long" hurt instead of "OMG I can't take another step without grimacing". I'm thinking for the time these little inserts will do nicely. We'll see today as I head out for a 7 miler. It's quite a difference outside weatherwise from last weekend. It's overcast / pesky light showers and 61 degrees. Almost perfect walking weather.

After getting home I did what anyone who just walked 10+ miles would do, I stuck my dinner in a marinade. I marinaded some sort of beef steak thingy that was in the freezer for almost 5 hours last night and OMG it was so good. I love that Better Than A1 Marinade. I did something different this time - shocking. I had been watching the Food Channel and saw where someone had grated the garlic for a more intense garlic flavor without the little bits of garlic. I may, just maybe, have found a great new way to use garlic. I just used my little microplane and the little hill of garlic looked so nice (which is important) and really did give a good garlic punch without the little bits of garlic. I know you're wondering why I don't want bits of garlic. So I'll tell you. The garlic goes in the marinade and I have found that it burns when grilling and that gets bitter. So there.

Speaking of grills, I need a new one. Since no one offered to buy that Pink Ford Zune for me, maybe I can talk one of you into donating money to the Jenn-Needs-A-New-Grill fund. I have the grill picker uppers and installers all ready, I just need the grill. Oh and would you mind throwing in a full tank of gas, mine ran out last night. Thanks.

After filling myself up with grilled steak, baked green beans and orzo with olives, I waited patiently for the firework to start. See here in Seattle we have to wait until almost midnight for it to be dark enough for fireworks. Okay not midnight, but 10pm and that's late for some of us. I had my tripod set up and snapped a few photos. Unfortunately, fireworks and I never really get along. I spend more time fussing with the camera that I miss the display. So last night I only shot a dozen or so and then watched the display. And wouldn't you know it, I had focusing issues. But fun photos none the less.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your foot has balls? Now I'm glad I don't work on your feet.
BTW Mom, I gave her the name and number of a trusted podiatrist. Now she has to make the call.