Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Its a Sad day in the State of Washington

Uncle Gene passed away today. He was Sherrie's dad and my dad's brother.

Uncle Gene was a farmer by trade. A gruff man. A hard working man with hands the size of Texas.

I can recall as if it were yesterday the first day I met him. Mom and Dad had sent me to Washington for the summer (we lived in California at the time). I was flying on the plane by myself and Dad had told me Uncle Gene would be meeting me at the airport. He also said that I would recognize him because he was very tall and would have a HUGE cowboy hat on - well that and he'd with with Grandma.

So here I am, a somewhat shy 7th grader, stepping off a plane after being by myself on the plane - nervous that no one will be there to mee me, when suddenly I am greated by this HUGE man giving me an enormous bear hug. "Its about time you made it Suzie." he said to me. He always called me Suzie. No idea why, he just did.

We all miss you Uncle Gene! Be the angel we know you will be.

2 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

It's always good to know someone who sees who we could be. I bet it was kind of cool to be Suzie now and then.

Condolences on Gene's passing.

Nicki said...

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you have fond memories of him.