Friday, April 07, 2006

The wonderful world of Dreams

I remember my dreams as if they just happened. I participated in a study in college with regards to controlling your dreams. The study was trying to prove that it could be done. And sure enough, it was a skill I mastered - somehow.

Anyhow, last nights dream still has me chuckling with disbelief. It makes me wonder what type of drugs I was on and if, by chance, my parents dropped me as a child.

The dream opens with me in a "dealership" of some type. But its not cars. Its random stuff that people are selling, but it looks and feels like a car dealership. I'm inquiring to the Sales guy about a giraffe. Yes, a giraffe. Why I think I need to purchase a giraffe is beyond me. But the conversation from the sales person turns to some guy - there was a mannerism about him that leads me to think it was the crush, but can't be sure - anyhow, he was telling me the pros and cons of purchasing a giraffe.

Like chapters in a book, it then switches to me standing in a hotel lobby waiting for someone. I'm telling this person, whom I don't know, that I'm waiting for my grandpa. And this person tells me I'm going to have a long wait so I should sit down and have a beer.

And then I wake.

So strange...I think I get the metaphor for waiting for my grandpa...maybe saying I'm going to have a long life and I won't be seeing him until many more years (all grandparents are deceased).

But the giraffe...I just don't get that one.

I also tend to walk in my sleep and can tell you stories of things I've done in my sleep. I've folded clothes (useful, but scary), and I've lit candles - all while asleep. But one dream that I've had that has stood out in my mind as one of "those" dreams, was a scary and frightening dream that made me almost kill my cat.

I was dreaming that someone was holding me at gun point. The gun is fired and I'm hit in the head. I can feel the warmth of the blood pouring down my neck, and I'm slowing fading away. Now, remember the first statement about being able to control your dreams. Well, I forced myself awake. And what should be going on, but my damn cat (aka Pookie) was laying by my head and his TAIL was wrapped around my face and neck...EXACTLY where the blood was pouring. Isn't that fascinating...? The fact that I felt warm blood and it was in fact a warm tail.

No I don't need counseling. Well, maybe no!

Happy Fried-day! No word from the "crush" to speak of. I think I may cut bait and go fishing elsewhere on this one.

2 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Sleepwalking - Nightmares... you want to trade stories? I know what it's like, believe me.

I studied lucid dreaming a few years ago and it is a knack you can pick up. Unlike waking yourself from a dream, in lucid dreaming, you are aware you're dreaming and can control what's going on. Believe me, that can be a lot of fun. (Though it does take practice.)

Sleep tight!

Al & Jo said...

No, you weren't dropped on your head as a child...I was too busy chasing you down while you were sleep walking! Maybe I should have dropped you on your head!

Love you,
Mom