Friday, February 02, 2007

Put on your Big Girl Panties and deal with it.


That is quoted directly from my brother Michael. Today, I fear, finally, I’m going to have to put said panties on. Yes, boys and girls, I’ve gone kicking and screaming, but alas, I think I must grow up and deal with an enormous problem that has plagued me for years.

Money. Management.

Now in previous years, managing my funds was easy. There wasn’t any. Oh sure a few scraps of a dollar here an there. But for the most part, no $$ to really manage. Plus then I got paid on a very regular schedule so you could make $50 stretch for two weeks, easily.

Last year was the grand-daddy year. I got paid EVERY THURSDAY. That. Rocks. I could make a large chunk payment toward any credit card wishing for my $$ and still be fine, generally only have to suffer through a weekend of perhaps not doing anything outside my apt.

Now, working for this new company, I am a contractor for 3-6 months first, then a full time employee. The new contract company I’m working for pays every other Friday. A bit more challenging for me to manage $$ and schedule my bills accordingly, but I’ll survive. AND in the month of March, I’ll get paid THREE Times. One of those paychecks is, for all intensive purposes, free $$.

Ah…. Not so fast electric money spender.

Assuming I go FTE in April as planned, then this is where it gets interesting. The new company pays every MONTH. Yes, you read that correctly and I almost choked as I typed it. They get paid monthly. Do you know what this is going to do to me? I’m going to have to *gasp* save! And *gasp* budget. And *gasp* think ahead. By the last day of each month I’ll be eating crumbs off my kitchen floor.

The best part of this equation is that I should “officially” be hired as an FTE on April 3rd. Which means, you guessed it, I have to way until May 1st for a paycheck. Which now also means that that so-called “free paycheck” in March, ain’t so free now. AND…I have to pay taxes this year.

Me thinks I need a drink. And since it’ll be my last one, I’m gonna make it a big one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer getting paid monthly: the money is there at the start & all the bills get paid first. Whatever's left is gravy! Just make sure you hook into the 401k thing or you and Peanut XXVII will be sharing dinner, if you catch my drift!

XOXO
Mike.

Nicki said...

I'd never be able to survive. I would just faint. Good luck, darlin' - I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.

Al & Jo said...

Uh---er---this loan instutution has just closed it's doors! This is gonna' be fun to watch!!! You, manage money! What a hoot! Welcome to our world...in the retirement world we live in we get paid once a month and it doesn't stretch very damn far. I agree with Mike....pay bills first, (that is my modis operandi) then IF there is anything else left, enjoy it while you are stretching it! And make sure you save, or you will be eating what Pookie eats! Yum---that would have been salmon for dinner tonight! :-(

Jenn from WA said...

Mike - 401K? What's that? I'm just joking...though with the current exchange rate with England it should be 802K.

FM - Can I have your # to call when my funds run low?

Mom - Hah...as if. I'd better get Pookie better food then. The visual of me sitting on the floor nudging him outta the way, "Move over cat. I'm hungry."