Thursday, February 22, 2007

the Stang is "officially" broken in

First a history lesson. In 1999 I purchased a 2000 Mustang Coup. My baby. I adored that car - much like I adore my current Mustang. Then in October of 2000 I got rear ended and they totaled the Stang. I was heart broken. Much like the new stang.

No, it hasn't been totaled, but yes I got rear ended today. I'm fine - thanks for asking. But more importantly the baby is fine.

The "irony" here is what got me laughing at this whole stupid event.

We have here, and I'm sure other places do too, metered on ramps. I was rolling along waiting patiently for my turn for the green light. About three cars in front of me. The thought that literally crossed my mind is how easy it would be to roll into the person in front of you if you weren't paying attention. Then WHAM I get it.

I literally say out loud in my car, "You've got to f*cking be kidding me." I pull to the side. The guy who hit me gets out of his car, his hands clasped to the side of his head shaking it as if he couldn't believe it. Then I hear it. I hear music blaring from the inside of his car. The song, Dulcinea from Man of La Mancha. I mean really, what are the odds?

The guy proceeds to tell me he was listening to this song when he saw my license plates (remember they say Dulcnea) and he couldn't believe that he was listening to that song and saw the plates, and he completely missed my brake lights.

I was dumb founded. (When I told my mom this story what was her question? Not "Are you okay?" Not "how's the car?" No. Her first question was, "Did he have a ring?" My mother. Subtle isn't she?)

Anyhow, I am still a bit amazed at the irony involved in getting hit by a guy playing Dulcinea because he was staring up my tail pipe (that sounds bad, doesn't it?)

But as I said, the car is fine. Not even a scratch. He really didn't hit me that hard, we weren't going but a half of a mile per hour. I feel fine. I do feel a bit tight and sore, but can't determine if it was post work out pain or car hitting pain.

7 comments:

Lesley said...

I'm glad you're okay! And that the car is okay too, of course.

I had to laugh when I read that your mom asked if he had a ring. My mom would have asked the same thing. However, I won't ask because I am neither a mom-type, nor a hopeless romantic.

And also because I think a man who listens to showtunes while driving isn't the safest bet in the world. If you know what I mean. And I'm sure you do.

Jenn from WA said...

Lesley - Your point about a man listening to show tunes while driving is valid and one I hadn't thought of.

the other thing is he could have been a complete psycopath. I thought of that last night ... what if he was really stalking me and just wanted my number? = ) A girl can dream, can't she?

Jenn from WA said...

Lesley - Your point about a man listening to show tunes while driving is valid and one I hadn't thought of.

the other thing is he could have been a complete psycopath. I thought of that last night ... what if he was really stalking me and just wanted my number? = ) A girl can dream, can't she?

Lesley said...

LOL! I had also thought of scenario # 2 but then I decided that the presence of showtunes prevails over that one. I'm just saying! ;)

Groove said...

I've had my truck almost 6 years and almost once a year I'm tapped in the rear...

I get out, look to see if some paint has been scraped off my hitch (NO), look at the tiny conveyance behind me and chuckle at the carnage. One poor sap who never did get off the phone wanted my info...F that, wasn't my fault and I had no damage. I've seen plastic bumpers ruined, grills cracked, and a hood dented once....idiots.

Glad the 'stang survived :)

Nicki said...

I bet you wanted to cry, didn't you? I felt that way both times some prissy little bitch pulled out in front of me and mangled my baby. I wanted to stroke my car (I think I actually did) and tell her it would be okay.

Lisa said...

There are no such thing as coincidences! Glad you and the Stang are both ok.