Monday, April 09, 2007

Mr. AttentionGrabber gets caught

Pookie moment #1034

House Rule #1: NEVER EVER GET UP ON THE COUNTER TOP! EVER!

I get home tonight from a dinner out with the girls. This will be the last dinner out for some time as I’m about to be poor for the month of May. (please make all charitable donations out to me). So in an attempt to save $$, I decided that I’d bring my lunch this entire week, which meant buying tuna. I bought two cans of tuna and opened them to drain them and put them in a Tupperware to take to work tomorrow (all other sandwich makings are at work. I would have had tuna for lunch today, but no can opener). Any how, I digress.

I got home, tired, ready to just drop into bed, but am enthusiastically greeted at the door by Mr. AttentionGrabber. Talking to him, or rather acknowledging him, I remembered my promise to myself. Open the cans of tuna. Drained them. Dropped one can on the floor so Pookie could lick out whatever remained. Finished up and settled into my couch to check my email. What? don't you check your email regardless of how tired?

About a minute went by and I realized I hadn’t seen Mr. AttentionGrabber all day and I needed some Pookie time. I should tell you that I have a cat who actually comes when you call it, and who makes noise when you call his name and/or if you make a whispy sound with your mouth - kinda like a snack with a lisp.... So I said, “Pookie?” and made the little pookie sound that gets him coming. I hear him. Then see him ON THE COUNTER!

Now here’s the funny part. He knows he’s not supposed to be on the counter, that’s a no no! And it's covered in How to be a Cat in this house 101. He passed the test! But,no, how dumb of a cat are you if you know you’re not supposed to be on the counter, and yet you announce that you are the moment I call you? I mean really?

Realizing that he was on the counter, I glance over and through the darkened kitchen, I see two lit up eyes and a pink mouth as I hear him sing, “Meow” (translation: DOH! She caught me on the counter.)

I think he thinks because he's aging he can get away with this stuff. I'm "sure" he's never been on the counter before. Those black hairs I find on the counter surely drift up there all by themselves.

2 comments:

Groove said...

I just got done watching rogue animals where the old domesticated chimps attack humans....want one of those?

Tuna good....hello!

Nicki said...

My cats get up on the counters exactly ONE TIME when I move into a new place. That's all because I totally, completely freak out and scare the shit out of them. Plus, the last time my cat jumped on the counter, he landed in the sink full of dishes. I think he's cured forever, although I'm trying to break him of the bathroom counter and coffee table.