Friday, April 27, 2007

TGIF!

Who doesn't like Fridays? It's the one time you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Even knowing full well you'll take your laptop home and attempt to get your Inbox down to at least 100. But still, I'd rather do that in front of the tube, then sitting at my desk.

I started thinking about Fridays and TGIF's today and was immediately taken back to a much happier time in my life. Young and carefree. Friday's were nights to go out. Let loose. Stay up late. Drink. All the celebrate the fact that we could. No one told us then, or if they did we didn't listen, that a day would come when Friday's meant a chance to unwind and get to bed at a decent hour. Who can stay up past 10 on a Friday now? All of you who are under 30 reading this, I warn you...your time is coming. Don't believe me now, because I know you won't. But mark my words on the first Friday day after your 30th birthday, you'll be in bed by 9pm.

When I was growing up my parents had a very strong net of family friends who celebrated Fridays. We did TGIFs at someones house almost every Friday. Frequently it was at our house. Mom and Dad would plan out an excellent meal which usually included a BBQ meat of some type. All their friends would come over, and we'd all have a grand time. Being a teenager, and later a college student, I loved these dinners. While most teenagers would rather be locked in their room plotting their next rebellious action, I loved being out with my parents and their friends. I believe that one of the reasons I love to entertain like I do is because of those TGIFs. What's for dinner tonight Mom? Its Friday!

I've managed to have allergies this year. Last year I had none. This year the pollen count is so high that our cars are covered with the yellow-ish green demons. I just think about it and sneeze. I'm stuffed up, and miserable. But Oprah saved me last night. Flipping through the channels she was showing the use of a Neti Pot. Apparently used to clear out sinus' in a very not obtrusive and healthy way. With warm salt water, you tilt your head and pour the water into a nostril. It transfers through the nasal passage and out the other nostril. It was like stupid human tricks for myself. But man did it ever clean out my nose. In a good way, and not in a gross way. I sorta thought it would feel like drowning, but it didn't. It was just a cleansing that was simple.

So happy sniffling and happy TGIF!

3 comments:

Nicki said...

I've squirted stuff up my nose before. It's enough to turn you off to men's aftershave forever.

I'm lucky this year in that I'm only having minor, minor stuffing when I lie down. And when I'm around cigarette smoke.

Al & Jo said...

We are having a TGIF tonight! Actually it is Dad's birthday party and farewell party as well, since we are heading north next week.
Tonight's menu:
Dad's bbq ribs-beef and pork
Pinquito Beans
Salad
Fruit
and for dessert: lemon bars or white cake with peanut butter frosting.

Anandi said...

ewww - some dr. tried to get me to do that. i can't even blow my nose, for cryin out loud (I know, tmi). But there was a funny comment about "nasal lavage" on Grey's Anatomy last night. Hope you're doing well. Im being antisocial for a while but when I'm done we should get together for coffee?