Monday, January 07, 2008

Holy 2008 Batman!

WoW! Just one week into the new year and I've already a week behind in blogging. I thought about blogging every day for the year like Patron Saint is doing, but realized my life isn't that interesting.

You may recall that my new year's theme included "living" a bit more, or more specifically doing things more that I have a passion for, like photography. Well, I'm doing just that.

I've gathered a small, selective group of friends who are also photographers to play photography 101 with me throughout the year. I also tapped into some other friends who I consider excellent photographers what ideas they have for topics.

Since all of us have our own talents and levels of experience in photography and we all seem to share the desire to take some time and learn and practice our skills of photography. I bought my Canon in July and just don't feel like I understand it's capacity nor do I understand my own. And for me it's been so long since I've thought about photography that I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

Photography is about light and how you can manipulate light. While the list of topics I have now is extensive, I'd like to focus (pardon the pun) on how to use levels of light in these situations. Specifically, low light photography - at night and in dark places. Winter is a great time for this, the cold air makes for crisp night shots. And an excuse to stop and have a coffee afterwards. Different times of day - sunrises and noon and dusk all require different skills and can drastically change a scene. The direction of shadows and even the occasional lens flair can change everything. Colors of light - different light has different colors. Sunlight is white and lights with incandescent bulbs are yellow. Florescent light is blue. This ties into the available light, but find a way of using the color. Colors - I mentioned colors of light, but color is a different thing. Find new ways of grabbing color, or pure ways of grabbing color. Movement - find ways of capturing movement. Whether it is stillness or speed. Black and White - Experiment with black and white.

Whew! That makes me tired already. I generally take photos of flowers, and generally macro. I need to branch out and test my skills in areas I'm not comfortable with. For example, I am horrible at taking candid shots of people, yet I find myself in a situation to do that all the time.

And what of these topics:
City-scapes
Different Point of View (looking up, looking down, from a dogs eyes)
Reflections
Sky stuff
Patterns
People (youth / old)
Color / texture
Architecture
Close up work
Shadows / reflections.
Landscapes
Waterscapes
3-Day Breast Cancer Walk / Emotions – this is assuming I am walking in it.
Fall / Seasons
Sunrise / Sunset / Night / Morning

My plan is to have our photos all posted to a Flickr site and allow each of us to review each other's photos. I want the feedback from people I have deemed solid photographers. Any feedback will give me the training I need to be an authentic, full fledged photographer. Who knows, some day I may sell my photos or be published - unlikely, but wishful thinking.

1 comments:

Jared said...

I think the creative goals are a great idea. Don't forget to feel free to experiment also. Never say I can't shot this beautiful sunset because I am supposed to go photograph shadows.