Monday, January 14, 2008

Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind

Now that I've decided to walk in this 3-day 60 mile Breast Cancer race, I'm all in. BigBro, Blueberry and I are all walking. We've created a team and are now officially called Saving 2nd Base!

I crack myself up though in that I'm all in as a PM. Once I made the decision to go for it, I launched myself into creating my very own project plan and schedule. I outlined what my risks, my constraints, my assumptions, all of it are. In all reality it is just like a project, and what better way to ensure my success than to just go for it 100% and be the PM Queen I know I am.

There is small flaw in the project plan though and that is my lack of knowledge of the weather forecast. I had decided yesterday after I walked 3 miles with my BigBro and Niecy-poo, where the weather was sunny and beautiful, that I would walk 3 miles tonight. Rain or shine! I figured if the post man can do it I can. Well, let me tell you, I am reconsidering my "rain or shine" attitude. I believe Seattle weather is why gyms were created.

But alas, I got home tonight after driving in a torrential downpour of rain mixed with snow, changed my clothes, put on what I thought was a waterproof jacket ( I was wrong) and I headed out. I had clocked a route the night before so I knew how far 3 miles was and I knew where I could cut a mile out. About 500 yards into this adventure, I thought I might have made a mistake. But I kept telling myself, "Keep going. You can do it. It's not really freakin freezing out here and you're not really soaking wet already." So I kept going. At about 1000 yards my shin splints started having some input to this idea of walking rain or shine. At about 1 mile, the shin splints stopped their gabbing, I was absolutely soaked, a bit cold, my nose was running, and my iPod had died. Still, I had 2 miles left and about .5 miles to decide whether to stay the course for 3 miles or turn right and only do 2 miles total. I'm ashamed to say, I opted to turn right and only walk 2 miles. My god it was cold! I did the two miles in just about 45 minutes and reached my front door feeling so very proud at myself for not letting Mother Nature talk me out of it.

I'm feeling very motivated at this point and really want to keep this motivation alive. If you have any ideas how to do that please share.

And as you will like see on just about every blog from here on out, my donation site is open. I would appreciate anything any of you could contribute. I'm trying to think of something special to do for all those Jenn Fan's who do donate, so if you have any ideas on that too, please share.

To donate to end breast cancer, click here.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Hey, 2 miles is 2 miles! I think that's great. And I think it really shows your dedication that you're out now in January getting ready for a walk that's in September. So I wanted to give you a big "You go, girl!" for that!

Nicki said...

The fact you got out there and stuck to the hardest part - going out in the rain, shows a LOT about how great you are. I imagine you felt totally awesome after, did you not?

As for motivation, why not write down the things that motivate you now and keep the list readily available to remind yourself?