Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rest In Peace Uncle Dick: 1929 -2009

When I was younger, I used to spend summers with my Grandparent’s (my mom’s parents). I have so many found memories of those summers in California. Grandpa was always the one I wanted to follow around and help. I adored grandma and grandpa. They were fun, but in a no nonsense sort of way. They had a simple way about them. They weren’t rich with money, but were rich with love and integrity. Character traits they passed down to their kids

Grandpa had three older children with another woman before he married the woman who would become my grandmother. Uncle Dick was the oldest of grandpa’s kids. And was like a mini version of Grandpa.

Uncle Dick passed away last night. He was 80. His passing isn’t a surprise, and in some senses a blessing. He’s been sick for several weeks, and we all knew it was just a matter of time. He lived a good, long life, and it was his time to be in peace.

Sadly, I didn’t get too much of an opportunity in my life to really get to know him. We never really visited them, because they lived in Alaska. We’d only really see him when there would be a family reunion. It’s only been really the last two years - since he moved to Tucson - that I’ve been fortunate enough to get to know him. He reminded me in so many ways of my grandpa – which makes sense sine Uncle Dick was his son. His eyes sparkled like grandpa’s did. You could tell when he was about to make a funny because he’d get an almost impish look on his face. His sense of humor was very slight, but it was there. When you saw it, you laughed.

He’s a veteran. He fought in WWII and Vietnam – that I know of. He flew helicopters in Vietnam. He liked to talk about flying, but didn’t like to talk about the wars. He may have fought in a few others, but I remember only discussing these two with him.

He was honest, loving, and sincere. A man true to his word. You knew where you stood with him, and if you were on his side, you were lucky. If you weren’t, you knew it.

He’s the first of my mom’s siblings to pass. She’s handling it as well as could be expected. He’ll be missed by us all. But he’s in a better place laughing it up with other relatives who have passed.

0 comments: