Monday, March 13, 2006

Recipe of the Week: Tinga Poblana de Pollo y Papas

So, most of you know I have a slight obsession with recipes and cooking. I love to cook. And many of you benefit from that love of cooking. I have over 600 recipes currently on file on my computer. About half are for the entre or side dishes or salads. So I got creative and put all these recipe names in a big brandy sniffer. Each week I take one out and that's the Recipe of the Week.

Generally speaking, I love each one of them. But once in awhile one will come along that I either love or absolutely hate. If I hate it, it goes in the trash. No need to save it since I won't likely make it again.

This week's recipe I loved and thought I'd share it with you all. It makes enough for about 6 servings. In typical Jenn fashion, I sorta followed the recipe. So I'll give you the recipe as it is supposed to be and I'll add in my changes.

**This recipe can have a bite to it, depending on the amount of peppers you put in.**

2 lbs chicken thighs (I don't like dark meat so I used chicken breasts and it worked just fine)
6 cups water
1 Large White onion, quartered
2 Tsp Salt
2 cloves garlic, not minced
1 can (14 oz) Whole Tomatoes in juice
4 Tsp chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo (I used two whole chipotle's and it was perfect for me.
1 tsp Oregano (I'm not a fan of oregano so I skipped this ingredient)
1 Link (1.5 oz) Chorizo sausage, finely chopped
1 T Vegetable Oil
1 lb Boiling potato (I used Yukon Golds because I think they boil up the best for soups and stews)
2 oz crumbled queso fresco, ricotta salata or farmer cheese ( I personally didn't add this)

Bring chicken, water, 1/2 of onion and 1 Tsp salt to a boil, covered, in a 4 or 5 quart pot over moderately high heat. Boil 10 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand, until chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. (I have to admit, I didn't do this. I boiled it until I felt the chicken was done.)

Transfer chicken to a plate, reserving broth with 2 quarters onion. When cold enough to handle, coarsely shred chicken, discarding skin and bones. (Again, I chose to not do this. I diced my chicken in the beginning into bite size pieces. And I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts.)

While chicken is cooking, heat a dry well seasoned cast iron skillet over med high heat. (I didn't have a cast iron skillet so I used my regular skillet). Brown garlic and remaining 2 onion quarters. Transfer onion and garlic to blender. Add tomatoes with juice, chilies, and oregano, then puree until smooth.

Cook Chorizo in heavy skillet over med high heat (I used the same skillet I cooked the onions and garlic in). Carefully add puree and cook about 10 minutes. Peal potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch pieces (bite size pieces), then add to reserved broth with remaining tsp salt. Simmer covered until potatoes are almost tender. Add potatoes and onions to chorizo mixture along with 2 cups broth. Stir in chicken and simmer 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cheese (again, didn't do the cheese part.)

I did have a couple corn tortillas on hand though to help sop up the yummy juices.

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Sounds good!

Here's a thought to add a bit of kick: give that chicken a quick sear! Don't cook it through. Just blacken it a bit.

... just a thought... and now I'm hungry...