Monday, March 06, 2006

Risking backlash again...

Disclaimer: If you feel strongly one way or the other about abortion, you may not want to read further.
I am Pro Choice. Period. I believe it is the right of a woman to make her decision about her body. I do not think this is a political decision, nor do I think it’s a decision that should be made by would be politians who are trying to get their names published.
The Government of South Dakota has signed a law banning abortion. This slaps in the face of civil liberties that women have had for many years. I am not a full on feminist, but this decision (and the subsequent decisions from other states that will follow) shows that woman rights are really at all as sacred as we thought. I will never understand how anyone thinks it’s OKAY to make this very intimate, very personal decision for a woman.

I would probably never choose an abortion over life. I am, however, assuming I have enough brains about me to think about the consequences prior to participating in an act that may, if unprotected, could result in pregnancy. But I am a free person and would love to feel confident that I, and only me, can make the personal decision regarding my body. If we make abortions illegal, in some situations we are condemning some, unfortunate children to a very difficult and challenging life.


2 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

And with Shrub's new Supreme Court appointees, there's no way they'll vote this down when it gets to them - and it will.

By the way, you might want to change your language to "this decision (and the subsequent decisions from other states that will follow) shows that woman rights are NOT at all as sacred as we thought."

Al & Jo said...

I agree. It shouldn't any politican's decision for a woman to have an abortion. I, for one, would probably never have had an abortion, however, I would like for it to be MY CHOICE for MY BODY. All this will do is see an increase in the back door/illegal, butcher shop abortions that were popular in the 60's. This has/will set us back 50 years.