Saturday, June 30, 2007

I think My Stroker's Gone

You'd better go grab a drink and something to eat, this is gonna be a long one.

You've waited all year - heck, you've waited your whole life - for this blog about this show. Yes folks, break out your powder blue tuxes and turquoise taffeta gowns...

It was Righteous! It was like totally tubular. Like Oh My God, gag me with a spoon. It rocked the cashbah. Dudley, oh sorry, The Brian Winter's Project, put on yet another fantastic prom. Tons of people dressed up and looked all 80's prom-ish. We three (Blueberry, Nickey and I) were among the dorks who didn't dress up. But we drank and danced and laughed like the rest of them. We partied in my "reserved for the biggest dudley fan ever" location (directly in front of the stage...yah baby). I made eye contact and batted the eyes on a regular basis...which knowing how good I am at flirting, Mr. Dudley probably thought I had something in my eye. Or I was spazzing out. Had my prom photo taken with my favorite lead guitarist, Craig Corbin (hint: He's the lead guitarist for Dudley.) Paul, the lead singer, walked past us when we first got there. I got the "head bob" of recognition. I mentioned it to Laura that I got the head bob of "hi" and she asked if I mistakened it for the "head bob" of "follow me to the back room". Hmmmm? I might have missed a golden opportunity there. Ok, back to reality.

The opening band, Tennis Pros, SUCKED. And by sucked I mean SUCKED. They are such a bad band. (side bar: When Laura and I were in high school we were huge Duran Duran fans...BIG. She loved Nick Rhodes and I loved Simon LeBond. So I called her Nickey and she called me Simey. What? We. Were. In. High. School.) Nickey at one point turned to me and said, "Do you think they know they suck?"
After Tennis Pro got off the stage, on came the Brian Winter's Project and they opened with Frankie Goes to Hollywood's song Relax. Paul brought out a big light just like the video of Relax. You all remember that right? Their first set proceeded to play every single 80s song we know and love.
During Careless Whispers (yes the song that Michael Pomerleau and I danced to in 1986) Nickey turns to me and says, "Are you stroking my hair?" "Ah, no." I respond. Come to find out the drunk chick behind us was running her hands through Laura's hair. Then about 20 minutes later Nickey says to me,"I think my stroker's gone."

The Brian Winter's Project had a few super special guess. Super special guest stars include Chris Ballew (Presidents of the USA), Kim Virant (Lazy Susan) and Marty Jourard (The Motels)! Chris Ballew played a role as the high school principle. He got on stage and had a few announcements. He then sang "You're my obsession." The girl part he did a hand puppet with. It was hysterical...probably had to be there to think it was as funny as Nickey and I did...or be a bit drunk as we were. Marty Jourard played the sax on several songs which included Careless Whispers. Kim Virant sang a couple of songs too, which included Total Eclipse of the Heart - a classic 80's tune.

It was a blast and I'm so glad Nickey was here to join in on the fun. Oh and of the photos in this post. First photo is Nickey, Sherrie and I at the Prom Photo spot. Second photo is Craig Corbin (lead guitarist of the band) and I. If he keeps being so nice to me he might soon become my favorite DMQ boy. He smelled oh so good. MMMM...The last photo was the drinks on our table at one point. Notice the empty drink and the two shots of B52's....yah, Jenn mixed her drinks. Started with a Jack and Coke, went to rum and coke then the B52 shot, then a rum and coke...then Tylenol.

Naked Prince cheats on me
I told you in the last blog that he'd likely cheat on me with some skank like Malibu barbie. Worse, he cheated on me with Sleeping Beauty. I get home Friday night, open the door to my room and to see the shock on his face. I kicked his ass to the curb and sent her packing (well okay, Jenna - Laura's little girl - would let me keep Naked Prince around. I tried to talk her into letting me take him to the UK with me...she'd have none of that. Naked Prince is heading South as I type.)

Laura and her fam are gone. It was a blast to have her and her family here. The kids are oh so cute and so Laura. I'm sure Mike, her husband, had something to do with them, but they act just like Laura. And that my friends, we should fear.


Photography Lesson 101
It was an absolute beautiful day in Seattle, which meant every person and their child was out and about. I headed to Mukilteo and the Ferry Terminal down on the waterfront. There's an old lighthouse out there that's been restored. My photography eye has taken a vacation as I realized I wasn't able to see things the way I once was. I'm sure it's just a matter getting out there and playing around again. So I'm not too worried.


2 comments:

Scribbler said...

I like the wood detail especially. I think you're right - use it or lose it. Like everything else, I suppose. Keep at it. Is the camera fairly intuitive after film?

Nicki said...

I went to prom two years in a row with my loser boyfriend. My girlfriend's brother offered to go with me to the second, and I still kick myself for not taking him up on it - he was a freaking hottie and a half.

I really like that wood pic. Any possiblity of getting a copy of it so I can put it up when I get a good collection of black and whites going?