Monday, June 25, 2007

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

Yes mam, it arrived today. Though in a box that's about 3' tall by a foot wide - someone please explain to me WHY the big ass box was necessary? I thought perhaps to have protection on both ends of the box, but no..everything was at one end and all the packing pillows at the other end. Very odd. Very odd indeed.

Anyhow, its beautiful. I feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment as there are so many things to see/do/learn on this camera. But its beautiful. Did I mention that?

A movie quote came to mind and for the life of me I can't remember which movie, "It's the same feeling you had when you saw your first TransAm."

I think I may need to sign up for a digital photography class for a couple of reasons. 1) to understand how digital might differ from slide or film photography. And 2) because there's sooo many buttons and options. I know that #1 might sound funny for some, but I know that with my point and shoot digital taking pictures was a bit different. I'm sure that a digital SLR will also have some differences. If there's a book anyone (REAL?) could recommend, please do. I'm all over reading (and the manual doesn't count. But for those who are wondering, I'm half way through the manual!).

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

do you know how hard it is for me to sit her and wait for the battery to charge? Its so unfair.

Okay enough on the camera. I need to go finish cleaning BFF from Quartz Hill HS will be here tomorrow with her family. Therefore, I must go clean the bathroom.

Ta

6 comments:

Melissa said...

you'll love it. I bought that model for Kevin for Christmas and I can barely pry it from his hands. He's been doing lunch around Redmond and Marymoor Park, camera in hand just about everyday now.

Unknown said...

Instead of books I have some other suggestions.

First: The manuals for these cameras, in my experience, is pretty good - use it.

Second: the important controls, the ones used to set aperture and shutter speeds should be almost identical to the film cameras before it.

Third: Use the internets. There are forums like http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php that are very helpful. If you purchase software there are blogs about that software. For example http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/lightroom/ is a good blog about the Lightroom software I mentioned before.

Fourth: Use flickr. Join www.flickr.com and join some groups. There are groups with your particular camera. Join the groups of lenses that you are interested in or have. For example I am a member of a group that uses the same 17-50mm lens as me. If you get software join that group also. You can get an rss feed of the forums for all public groups as far as I know. Subscribe to them because it makes it easier to keep up with. Make lots of friends and share are big mix of photos - your favorites and the ones you don't like as much. I find that other people don't love the ones that I love and vice versa.

Fifth: strongly consider software like adobe's lightroom and shoot in RAW. You will have so much more control.

Sixth: Try and find a photography group in your area. I found one using Yahoo groups that is wonderful. For me the idea group is one with people who are very proficient as well as other people who are learning.

Seventh: Don't delete any photos. They take up relaitvly little space and you can learn so much from both the photos that you love and the ones that you hate.

Last: Get out there and use. Shot, shot, shot... I bought mine in March in 2006, since then I have put over 11,000 photos on this camera. Go out there and have fun.

Also if you do have technical questions you could email me. I might know the answer and I love talking photography.

Lesley said...

The quote is from "While You Were Sleeping." It's when Joe Junior is talking to Lucy about Jack, and he says "I seen the way you look at that guy" and she says "Oh? How do I look at him?" and he replies "Like you just seen your first Trans Am!"

See, I really don't know much about cameras, but movie quotes? Now THAT I know!

Jenn from WA said...

Solje - Oh good. I'm glad to have someone else out there as addicted as me.

REAL - I see now why Lesleygirl likes you so much. So helpful. So friendly. So knowledgeable.

Lesley - Der...that's like one of my favorite movies and for the life of me I couldn't remember. I played it over and over in my head last night. Thanks. Got any songs I can put in my head instead now? Oh wait, nevermind Ice Ice baby's still in there. = )

Nicki said...

Congrats on getting the camera. I took mega pics with mine when I first got it. Now I don't so much because it's a regular SLR, and getting the film developed is a pain in the arse.

Al & Jo said...

What??? You are going to kill your science experiment and clean the bath room?

And, perchance, areyousureaboutthosedates?