Monday, December 04, 2006

Her Name was Rio....

Well, her name isn't Rio, but she was certainly a Duran Duran fan. For some reason I put the Duran Duran CD "Decade" into my car rotation. Listening to Duran Duran music for an hour this morning, got me thinking about one of my favorite GalPal Laura.


Laura and I were best buds in 10th grade. Almost inseparable in many cases. And some of the memories we made together will stay with me forever. She'll kill me for posting these stories, and for posting these pictures. Sorry Laura - not really.

Laura and I met on our way to USA Camp for color guard. She and I hit it off instantly and had a certain "wit" about us. We got each other. Scary as that was. She was a HUGE Duran Duran fan, as was I - though my like/love for them grew as our friendship grew. I, though, never had the Nick Rhodes hair... tee hee. At one point, we had secret Duran Duran names for ourselves. But I'll never spill what they were...too embarrassing for us both, right Nicky. Love Simey.

Anyhow, at USA camp was where my first favorite Laura story takes place. We were on the 9th floor of a dorm at UC Santa Barbara, which was where the camp was. Laura and I decided to take the elevator down to the "fat room". Once we were loaded up with junk food, we figured why not work it off first by taking the stairs up. We made it to, I think, the 4th floor, then went to find the elevator. Many years later we laughed at the thought of perhaps taking the stairs down and the elevator up...but we weren't the sharpest tools in the shed then. I got Super Sensational that year for rifles at USA Camp. Laura was there to cheer me on. In fact, in the middle of my routine, I could hear her screaming for me. It's amazing I didn't goof up.

I was the proud owner of a 1971 Ford Country Squire station wagon, with wood paneling. Yes, I was the cool kid driving the horrid car. It got 8 miles a gallon, really. BUT, it got me to where I wanted to go. Laura and I decided to drive the beast up to the "Manson house". I said no because my mom wouldn't hear of it (note: insert innocent tone in my voice). But Laura twisted my arm and "forced" me to drive up there. We stopped and got some type of ice cream treat and started on our quest. In Quartz Hill, where we lived, one of the houses the Charles Manson supposedly hid out in was up this hill. It was a "scare" factor for most the local kids, so we had to go. On our way up there, somehow, someway and to this day I'm not 100% sure how, I hit a garbage can. I swear it was Laura's fault. Honest. = ) Thankfully they were plastic cans, but still. My car could have been hurt.

I was massively jealous of Laura. She had the great hair, the fun clothes, and she had the eye of Michael Pomerleau - who everyone knows was my first true love and consequently my first real heartbreak. Laura, bless her heart, though helped me get a small kiss from Mr. Pomerleau. On my last day of school, I passed Laura and innocent and enormously top secret note indicating that the only thing that I really wished for was a kiss from Mike. Well, Miss Laura, SHOWED HIM THE NOTE! While I did get that kiss, I was mortified by what she did. Thankful, but mortified.

Laura's mom was a nut case too. Her mom loved to torment her, but in a fun loving way. California had these drive through dairies in our area. They were basically a 7-11 that you can drive through. Anyhow, Laura had the hots for this guy who worked at one of them. Her mom, DROVE through with us and proceeded to tell Mr. Hotty that her daughter Laura had a crush on him. We both died. She died of embarrassment. I died laughing my ass off.

I could go on and on about our friendship. The years have passed, and we've both gone and done our own thing. I moved to Washington, and later off to Switzerland, and then back. Through all that we stayed friends. Writing letters, phone calls, etc. To this day we chat. 22 years later, we're still friends.

She's one of those friends to me, and I know you all have one like this, where months could go by without us talking, ,but when we do its as if we've never been gone. She's one of my favorite people and I'm so very glad that I went to USA camp that year.

Perchance come day she and I will live by each other again.
(PS - Perchance was her mom's favorite phrase)

Laura - Thanks for the memories. Apparently you were a bad influence to me. = )

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I haven't even read this yet and all ready I'm going to kill you! Could you pick any more horrid pictures?

Anonymous said...

Well, Simey. That was actually very nice. Thank you. Although my memories very just a bit. It was SO you that wanted go out to the manson house (that I now know was actually in Simi Valley). I told you those trash cans were wiley, you just didn't believe me. Just to let you know, I never had the eye of Mr Pomerleau, he had my eye and was also my first heart break. I'm still recovering from it. And you're welcome for your Mr. P. kiss. What are best friends for if not to humiliate you. I could have gone without remembering my mom and the drive thru though. I did get a date with the hotty, who also broke my heart. You know perchance your asking for revenge. I wish I had those pictures of you coming out of the shower. Ohhh perchance I do..... :)love Nicky

Ken La Salle said...

I can't read that without needing a testosterone IV! By the time I was done, I felt like shouting, "OH - MY - GOD!"

... but I didn't...

Still, had to laugh that you used "proud owner" and "station wagon" in the same sentence! ;)

Al & Jo said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh that was fun to read and oh so funny. And, I also find out more about my daughter and her teen years that I NEVER KNEW! MANSON HOUSE? YOU ARE GROUNDED again.

And Laura, we love you too. And miss you lots.

Jenn from WA said...

What? I'm the innocent bystander here. Did anyone NOT see my hair in that photo? and what about that Sweatshirt. It says, "Caution: Be sure brain is engaged before mouth is in gear." THAT's embarrassing.

Vicky said...

I have to know, is this the same Laura with the cute little boy Nathan?? If so, please say Hi to her for me...Vicky

Jenn from WA said...

It is the same Laura. She was on her best behavior at Dland though. = )

Nicki said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast. You should do it again.

And invite me.