Monday, October 06, 2008

The 2 Day Itch

So, the cat has fleas.

I hate fleas.

I have no idea where the big black beast of burden would have picked up fleas - considering he's indoor royalty. And yet, he has fleas.

I came home Friday night to a pile o' hair...and by a pile I mean I could have scooped it altogether and had a second cat. Albeit one that eats and poops less. Anyhow, something seemed odd about these tufts of fur. First and foremost they were as if someone had yanked a handful of fur out and left it on the floor. Not the normal smattering of fur. It's hard to explain unless you have a cat and understand how they shed. I almost took a photo because it was clear where he sat and scratched his itch. There was a void in the fur covered floor that surprisingly looked like his outline.

Having seen this before - last time he had fleas - I knew immediately. Grabbing the cat in one hand and the flea comb in the other, we went into the bathroom. Three little buggers weren't fast enough and they were unceremoniously dunked into scolding hot soapy water. Die you little bastards. Did I mention I hate fleas?

Fleas on the other hand LOVE me. I must have some fine tasting skin to them. A flea feast if you will. I have 6 flea bites and I'm none too happy about this.

After the flea scrape I knew I had to go get the poor little beast some medicine. I decided to wait until Saturday, so three more times Friday night we "scraped" for fleas. The cat loves this by the way...NOT. He squirms and lets out these god awful sounds that makes it sound like I'm drowning him. He just doesn't understand I'm actually helping him. Freak.

So after finding a few more fleas, I let him rest for the night. Bright and early Saturday though, after a restless sleep of me squirming - sure fleas were all over me all night - I was at Petco buying flea medicine. Oh, if you think the cat liked the scraping, just imagine how much he loved the medicine. It's simple to apply really. Just a dab on the back of his neck. Nothing serious. But, again, you'd think I was torturing the beast. I kept telling him it was for his own good, but as a cat would he ignored me.

I also bought a new vacuum filter and cleaned the apt from top to bottom. Which served two purposes really. The first to get any fleas (agh - I itch even as I type this) and two PhotoGirl and The Yank were coming to dinner. (Which by the way was delicious - thanks for asking. Parchment Salmon with pesto, zucchini, carrots and onions. OMG so good.)

Sunday we found just one flea on him. I have two new bites.

Sunday I also broke a record for sleeping. I was supposed to walk in the Walk for Hope 5K - instead I slept until 11Am - which I never do. Got up. Had lunch. Went back to bed. Woke up at 7pm. Got up. Had dinner. Went back to bed. I feel great today - aside from itching like a mad woman.

0 comments: