Wednesday, October 22, 2008

ZigZagging in SF

Yesterday we almost literally zigzagged our way through SF. We spent the day riding the world famous cable cars. Fascinating little things. So simple and yet so functional. We stopped at the cable car museum too that houses the actual working mechanics of the cars. Yes, I hung out of a car and yes I almost got side swiped by an oncoming cable car. But I couldn't very well go to SF and not hang out of a cable car.



These are the big cable wheels that pull the cable to make the cars go. There are only three lines functioning now in SF. Originally there were 16 I believe.

Afterwards we got adventurous and landed ourselves on a bus to find the 7 sisters or the Painted Ladies - whichever you want to call them. Of course we only found them after we found ourselves in the Castro district. San Fran's famous homosexual area. Oddly enough I felt safer there then I did in a few other areas of town. So we hopped on another bus that took us exactly to where we needed to be, Alamo Square.

These famous houses are the most photographed icon in SF...so they say. If you ever watched Full House you've seen these houses. The yellow one is the full house house. The tour guide we had the other night said these houses range in the millions - in case you want to buy one. I would have loved to see in side, but I don't think they'd let the riff raff in.

Today we're mostly vegging. We've been on the move for 4 straight days now. Mrs.BraschPir, Seattle SIL and I walked over to the City Hall this morning. We lucked out and got our own guided tour of the place. Beautiful building. I find it amusing here that a lot of their history discussions start with the "Great earthquake of 1906". SF really has had to rebuild itself a couple of times - its no wonder they seem so resilient.



After a trip to the waterfront (sidebar: SF completely throws me off. I always thought it faced west. But in fact, the waterfront is north. It's on a "bay" - dah - but I didn't realize just how much of a bay it really is) for In N Out burgers, then we're going to ride public transit to some cathedral. After which, we plan dinner in North Beach - their Little Italy. I can't wait for that. I love me some good Italian food.

0 comments: