Thursday, June 22, 2006

One more day until Prom

Yes, I get an opportunity to relive a prom. Not just any prom, but one hosted by the boys of Dudley Manlove.

That's right sports fans. Their show tomorrow night will be a prom themed. Not just any prom, no this will be prom from the 80's. Can't wait to see what fantastic songs the boys will have lined up. They are having prom pictures (and I'm bringing my camera), spiked punch, and of course will be crowing a king and queen of the prom. I'm sure many folks will dress up, I will not be one of them. Not only do I not have my prom dress, but even if I had it there's no way I'd fit into it. If I think about it when I get home, I'll see if I can find a photo and scan it in. You likely wouldn't recognize me. What will all the big 80's hair and earrings and all.

But thinking about this prom got me thinking about my prom. My prom was different in that I was at boarding school. All the seniors were invited and were allowed to bring one guest. As it turned out, I brought my best friend Claudia. The crush at the time, Mike Greene, was already going to be there as he was a senior too.

I vaguely remember the bus trip to this glamorous chateau in the hills of Switzerland, and I vaguely remember the dance floor and the balcony. I do remember crying, of course, what girl doesn't cry at a dance? Our prom was the day before our graduation, so it was, for the most part, the last time we'd be spending times with each other. It was sad to let go.

There's a whole lot of us going to the prom tomorrow night. I can't wait. Sherrie, Shannon, Gary, Erin and her Gang, Kara and Scott, and Mike and his date. We'll all be there boogy-ing to the class tunes from Journey, the Go-Go's, Pat Benatar, and more from the 80's.

Here's an eye opener - my senior prom was 19 years ago. Holy Crap! And what exactly is prom? I asked Google and got this answer.

I did a search on prom stuff in google and came up with some funny ass stuff / photos. First off, when did prom dresses become hand me downs from hookers? My god. My parents would have never allowed me to wear some of these fashions (which I'll use that word loosely).

But the best was the Duct Tape Prom Fashion. I shit you not.

1 comments:

Al & Jo said...

Prom...ah yes...mine was 100 years ago...we went in a covered wagon~!