Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Tat - A - Too

I sashayed, or stumbled depending on how you look at it, into a conversation with two 20 something girls discussing getting a tattoo on her lower back this morning.

Here's the story.

I was standing in line in Starbucks - der like where else would I stand in line for 15 minutes? Two 20 something ish girls were standing behind me. I knew they were 20 something because every other word was like - well like. Like, this guy, um like, totally checked out, like my ass. (And for the record, like when did "like" become so popular?) 20-Something-Girl #1, we'll call her Fluffy, commented to 20-Something Girl #2 (we'll call her Fiffy) that she wants to get a tat.

Fiffy said that would be like totally cool. What would she get and where?

This is where I enter the conversation. Sometimes, my filter that tells me to NOT say things out loud, doesn't work. Or its delayed for some reason. Could be the two beers on an empty stomach last night...

Now, if you know me, picture me for a moment. 5'7" Marilyn Monroe build (with 50 extra lbs...or 60 extra). Gorgeous, or course. Dressed professionally. Well groomed hair and nails. You get the picture (Stop laughing mom). So I say - out loud - "I'm thinking about getting a tattoo (not really, but this is how the story goes). I think it would be kick ass to get one of those small-of-your-back tattoos just above my ass. Yeah, you know the kind, the Stamp Tramp. And my tattoo would simply say: I regret this. But maybe in Chinese characters."

I just gotta say it was totally worth having the filter off for the looks on Fluffy and Fiffy. I could see them imagining seeing the small of my back and a tattoo there...of course they would have to look just above the thong that would be showing....Ewwwww. Then they were completely confused. They had no idea what the hell I was or what I was talking about.

The next thing that happened completely cracked me up. The two - after stopping mid sentence to look at me like I was a circus freak - went back to their conversation, as if I hadn't said a word. They didn't comment to me. They didn't blink. Nothing.

Like, what the hell is up with that?

6 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Oh god. I just love doing that, saying something above somebody's head so they have to pause and think, "Was that an insult?" No clue. It's one of my favorite things. (These are a few... forget it.)

As for "like", being a Californian, I must apologize on behalf of my state for exporting that up into the Great Wet North. That's, like, totally terrible.

Jenn from WA said...

Like OMG, I think you like totally just gagged me with a spoon.

How the hell do you punctuate the "likes" in a sentence anyhow?

Al & Jo said...

Like, they never got it. Like, that was so totally far out....oops, like 60isms are getting in my way!~

Nicki said...

Like, you just KNOW how to, like, use the word. It's not, like, something you can be, like, TRAINED to do.

I heard today that when a woman has a tattoo on the small of her back, they won't give her an epidural when she's in labor.

That, and the fact guys call small of the back tattoos "targets", mean I'll, like, never, ever, like, get a tattoo.

Jenn from WA said...

FM - A target? If that's the "target" those boys are just a bit north from the "target"...if you know what I mean?

Nicki said...

That's the target AFTER the find the first target for awhile, if you know what I mean...