Sunday, June 25, 2006

Recipe Swap: Week Two

I've combined my selecting a recipe from the Brandy sniffer every week, with sending that recipe to Ken. I plucked this one on Saturday morning and made it Saturday night. I, of course, made some changes to the recipe - because I can't leave it alone.

Recipe compliments of the Hot BBQ cookbook. I used chicken instead of halibut because halibut wasn't on sale and I wasn't willing to pay the $15.99 a lb. So chicken it was. I only marinated this for 30 minutes. With the citrus acid in it you won't want to marinade - especially fish - for longer. The acid starts the cooking process and you'll end up with dry - well done fish.

Halibut in Lemon-Ginger Marinade
Ingredients:
2 lbs halibut steaks (1 in thick) - this might be good with chicken or salmon if halibut isn't on sale.

Lemon-Ginger Marinade
1T finely minced lemon zest
1/3 C freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 C dry white wine or dry vermouth - I used dry vermouth
3 T flavorless cooking oil
2 T thin soy sauce ( I had no idea what this was, but thanks to the inter-web I found out it's just regular old soy sauce. )
1 T Oyster Sauce - I used fish sauce instead and it seemed fine
1/4 Tsp Asian chile sauce or freshly ground black pepper - I used just some hot sauce I had
1/4 C Minced green onions
1 T Very finely minced ginger - for this I used a Rachel Ray trick. I peeled the ginger (about an inch of ginger) then squished it with my knife to release the flavors and stuck it in the marinade. This releases all the ginger flavor without all the mess.
2 cloves garlic, finely minced

Combine all the marinade ingredients. At least 10 minutes but not more than 30 minutes prior to cooking, pour the marinade over the halibut and turn it to evenly coat. Keep refrigerated.

Cook halibut either via grill, broil, bake - however you want.

3 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

And so the gauntlet is thrown down for week 2! Now, what can I have Jenn make....?

(Gonna have to wait until tomorrow - nah nah nah!)

;)

Jenn from WA said...

Now, now. Throwing the gauntlet makes it sound like this is a competition....it ain't. Because I win no matter what. = )

Ken La Salle said...

You're right. I'm officially withdrawing the gauntlet, folding it up, and putting it into my junk drawer.... ma'am.... ;)