Thursday, March 27, 2008

Hello Old Friend

This past weekend I picked three very lucky recipes out of the recipe bowl. You know I speak so frequently about this bowl, I think I'll go take a picture.

Now, where is the camera?
Ah yes, in the fanny pack for walking. What? Isn't that where you put your camera?

DOH, no card. Where's the card? Why would the card not be in the camera? Oh yah, it's in the Pink Laptop.
Right, okay back to the picture. Anyhow, as you can see the bowl is really an oversized brandy snifter (and oh my god - dirty - ick).
Anyhow, this past weekend I chose three lucky little recipes to make this week. The first was the Spanish Chicken and Rice. While one of my favorite recipes, I must not have been paying attention while cooking because it didn't turn out so good. Still good, but not as good as I remember. Hmmm, makes me wonder if my "favorite" is another recipe? Huh! The second recipe was Steak Teriyaki. Good, but I over did the ginger on it.
So the last was Spicy Szechwan Chicken. ZOMG so good. First, it wasn't spicy. Second, it was, OMG so good. Did I already say that? I tried, I honestly tried to follow the recipe. But see I have this birth defect (thanks Mom) that causes me to "change it up" as I cook. This particular case wasn't so much as me adding things as it was I didn't have the "correct" ingredients so I improvised. Which if you check out my "other" blog, you'll see what I mean.
The point to this entire blog, yes there is a point - albeit probably not a great point, is this weekend's shopping trip was to Central Market.
I had made a habit of Sunday morning trips to Central Market for grocery shopping. I don't find their prices any higher than any other place. The store is laid out PERFECTLY, and smartly. I stop at Starbuck's for my elixir of life, then cross the parking lot to shop. I generally have a list and generally take my time. It's a glorious trip. My sanctuary, every Sunday.
Then I started training for the 3Day - which by the way is going great, thanks for asking. That meant that Saturday was for walking and Sunday was for all the things I didn't do Saturday. And somehow shopping never made that list. I missed my trips to Central Market. So this past Sunday I revived my spirit and went. It was like coming home. It was like visiting a long lost friend. It so reminded me I need a life.
PS - The Spicy Szechwan Chicken was DELICIOUS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was an (HEB) "Central Market" in Austin that I adored for its array of funky foods. The store was laid out like a maze, with occasional ways to cut through and go to the register. However, if you made it all the way to the end, you were in the cheese section.

Nicki said...

I love Trader Joe's, and alot of their stuff is actually cheaper. I don't know why, but I keep forgetting about shopping there. Especially since they carry the BIG tubs of Ben & Jerry's. (CURSE THEM!!)