Sunday, March 16, 2008

What is...116 and 13 years of goodness?

Why, my weekend in review of course.

116 is the total number of training miles I've clocked since January. BigBro and I walked somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 miles. There's some difference between his pedometer and mine, so I'm guessing on this. I was tired and I could feel the walk in the back of my right knee. But significant stretching, lots of water and a little nap, I was good to go.

Then as if that wasn't enough, I got up - not early by any stretch of the imagination, which I'll get into in a bit, and I walked 5 more miles today.

Its amazing to me to think that I walked 10 miles. In December of last year if you would have asked me that, I never would have imagined myself getting out and pounding the pavement. The funny thing now is, walking a mile, or two, or three just seems silly. Simply no effort really, and doesn't really tire me out. At 6 miles, I can start to feel it. I definitely need to consider stretching some more during the walk. Somewhere between 6 and 9 miles I think I need a little break. I was hurting by the time we hit BigBro's house yesterday, which I'll blame on a lack of water and stretching. But if I were to stop and rest for 5 minutes I think I would have felt good.

After a long, hot shower, a quick little nap, I dressed myself to go celebrate 13 years of Dudley Manlove goodness. They combined St. Patty's dat with their celebration, and not once last night did they mention their anniversary. No big I guess. I've been going to their shows for 10 years now. Which is hard to believe, but it's true. It's been fun watching them change their songs up and add a few opening acts here and there.

Their "opening act" last night was, well, not all that. In fact, I had to video tape them because no one would believe me if I told them it was an Irish Folk band. Now for the theme of St. Patty's day, they fit. Dudley fans, they did not fit.



Aside from the opening act, VikingGirl and Mark/Vanessa joined. HikerGirl and her new man bailed on us. Hmph! VikingGirl was a Dudley virgin and had her reservations when she saw the Haggis Brothers. Her eyebrow shot up with a very questioning tone in it. But by the end of the night, she was officially a Dudley Fan. My work here is done.

Dudley went into the old Dudley coffers and pulled out some of their very old songs that they've done for years. Songs like, What's New Pussy cat?(Tom Jones), Me and Mrs Jones (not my favorite song, but I love Paul's voice when he sings it. Incidentally, Mr. Michael Buble does a pretty damn good job too.), If Could Read My Mind (Gordon Lightfoot) - Dudley speeds this one up quite a bit too, and even Joey Scarbough's Greatest American Hero theme. (Shut up! You know you know the words to that song.)


December 1963 is one of my FAVORITE songs. Yes, it's a Franki Valli song, but it's fun and really quite nasty if you understand the lyrics.

The crowd exploded when Dudley did this song. With the flashy lights and the sounds of people talking, it totally reminded me of prom. If you listen closely, you can hear the entire crowd singing along. ( And the distortion in the sound would me and my dumbness. I discovered the microphone on my camera is right where I put my finger to hold the camera. So it sorta covered it part of the time. Sorry. I'll do better next time.) And you can't see it very well in the video, but Paul was holding up a lighter...ahhh memories. We did notice no one else in the crowd really had lighters, but we all had cell phones.

And finally, they closed their show with their standard closer, Suspicious Minds. We were up on a balcony watching the show this time - actually thankful we weren't down front - so from up above, I thought it was fun to watch the entire crowd bounce at the same time.

0 comments: