Thursday, December 28, 2006

And his heart grew three inches that day...

I think someone drugged me.

I'm sure of it.

I was minding my own business, driving to work this frigid morning, when suddenly, inexplicably a feeling so intense, so powerful, washed over me.

A feeling a pure joy and happiness. I found myself smiling for no reason. It was as if suddenly, nothing bothered me...until the jackass in front of me cut me off.

Anyhow, back to being happy. I'm not sure what or why it has happened, and frankly I don't think I care. But in a moment of clarity I discovered something. Or rather found something I had lost. The truth is, my happiness is dependant on no one but me. And I know this, and remind myself of this, but it rarely helps. Yet, today, in the 29 degree weather, I found it again.

I can't really remember the drive to work since I spent most of it thinking about the times in my life where I was most happy. What was it about those moments that defined it as happiness? Was it a man in my life? (doubtful) Was it money? (not likely) Nothing really stood out. Until it hit me. Like a brick being tossed from some other emotion to knock me into reality.

Its seems when I feel most proud of my accomplishments. I realized that each time I've felt enormously happy has been when I've done something I'm really proud of.

I'm about ready to embark on a new adventure with a new job. Ready to face this new challenge head on and prove to myself that I"m capable and worthy of this job.

I'm proud that our family - well most of them - donated $$ this year to a charity instead of buying gifts for each other.

I'm proud that I got a chance to tell both my parents that I love them.... and actually hugged them and told them.

And most of all, I'm proud to say that I am a successful individual. I may not have all the friends I want, and they may not treat me the way I expect them too, but they're friends none the less.

And finally, I'm proud that I didn't flip off said Jackass when he cut me off. Its truly a historic day.

And so let's review 2006
2006 Survey!

1.) Where did you ring in 2006?
In Hawaii in bed. No, not like that you pervert. I was sick. Mom, Dad and I rang in new years for Seattle time, then went to bed.

2.) What was your status by Valentine's Day?
You mean Anti-Valentine's Day. I did what I always do, Pookie was my valentine. I hate the day.

3.) Were you in school (anytime this year)?
Yep. Project Management classes. And more importantly, working with a local college on Project Management classes....earning cash doing it.

4.) How did you earn your keep?
Working for Geeksoft doing "stuff". Its top secret. I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya...bahahahaha yah right. Anyone who knows me knows the last thing I've really been doing is working hard. But in a weeks time, I'll be working for UK Awesome company definitely earning my keep.

5.) Did you have to go to the hospital?
God no. I live for not seeing hospitals. Did my 5 day stint in 2002 and that was enough, thankyouverymuch.

6.) Did you encounter the police?
Define "encounter"? Considering my younger, yet annoying sibling is a cop...I did encounter her. I have yet to actually encounter a police person whilst in the Stang...thank god for small favors.

7.) Where did you go on vacation?
Let's see...I started the year in Hawaii, then New York in the summer, then ended the year in the frigid Tucson. 2007 should see me in at least Washington DC (the fake Washington)

8.) What did you purchase that was over $500?
Um, er, um...THE MUSTANG....and um, furniture for my apt...though theoretically I haven't "purchased" the furniture, as in past tense...I'm still purchasing the furniture. Oh, and I bought a computer. Oh, man...I need to cut down.

9.) Did you know anybody who got married?
Not this year. All my friends are married. Oh wait, I had a cousin get married...who's now expecting a baby! Yeah! Oh but that's a secret. Shhhhhh.

10.) Did you know anybody who passed away?
Sadly yes. My auntie M passed away this year. And my Uncle Gene passed away this year. We've had enough of losing of the relatives this year.

11.) Did you run into anybody you graduated high school with?
Not "graduated" but I did see an old school friend, Christy, this trip to Tucson. It was GREAT to see her. Oh wait, I did see someone else...Mike Greene from my TASIS days...though we didn't "run" into each other...it was a planned "running into".

12.) Did you move anywhere?
Yeppers. Moved to the hood. Lynnhood that is. Thankfully, I'm staying put for a bit too. So all you doubting Thomas' out there who think I'm moving again...hah, I'm not.

13.) What sporting events did you go to?
UW Volleyball match...and watched a ton of college football on the boob tube.

14.) What concerts did you go to?
Dudley Manlove baby. Der. Like read my entire blog and that's what you'll see. Oh I went to the Sh*tkickers too.

16.) If so, did you do your patriotic duty on Nov. 7?
Absolutely. Voted absentee so I voted uber early.

17.) Where do you live now?
The Hood, Washington (aka Lynnwood, WA)

18.) Describe your birthday.
It's 4 days after Christmas, so it really hasn't happened yet. Stay tuned. I may post the happenings...if I can remember.

19.) What's the one thing you thought you would never do but did in 2006?
Get a kick ass new job that I can't wait to start. Go to New York and harass my FNE (favorite nephew ever) AND buy a Mustang.

20.) What is one thing you regretted this year?
Just one? Not saving enough $$.

21.) What's something you learned about yourself?
I'm a solid person. I'm not the best person in the world, but I'm a good person. Oh, and I love to push peoples buttons....and not always in a good way.

23.) What was your best month?
I'd say August. My trip to New York was awesome, as well as purchasing the Stang.

24.) What from pop culture will you remember 2006 by?
Nothing stands out as necessary to use brain cells to remember.

25.) How would you rate this year with a scale from 1 (crappy) to 10 (excellent)?
9.999999999 It has its moments of crappy, but overall, I'd say it was excellent (insert homer simpson voice)

2 comments:

Al & Jo said...

I am so glad you found yourself HAPPY...it has it's rewards. Dad and I were happy when you were here...well, most of the time. Dad was exceedingly happy you came and so was I....it meant a lot to both of us. If only the rest of the family would have remembered us...oh, never mind.

Nicki said...

I had that feeling on the way to work one day, until a bird flew out of nowhere and smack into my grill, feathers flying everywhere. And it was a blue one. All I could think was I just killed the bluebird of happiness.