Wednesday, October 18, 2006

You'd expect this in Pullman

If you don't know about Pullman, WA, consider yourself fortunate. But as you read on, you may feel unfortunately.

Pullman is home to Washington State University. Home of the Cougars. Of which I am an alum. Just because I went there doesn't me I have "issues" with the area. You see, Pullman is in the middle of farm land as far as the eye can see. There's a catchy little phrase here that goes something like: "All dirt roads lead to Pullman." And that's not far off.

Because its a farming community, one would expect to see a newspaper article like the one I found in the Seattle PI this morning.

Title: Motorcycle Collides with Cow near Everett

I know what you're thinking, "WTF?" But what is funnier is the typo in the article. I've highlighted it for your convenience.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS EVERETT, Wash. -- A motorcycle collided with a cow on Highway Two near Everett.

State Patrol Trooper Kirk Rudeen says it happened in the dark at 4:30 this morning in the westbound lanes of the Highway Two trestle.

The car had apparently wandered onto the highway from a nearby farm. It was struck by two cars before it was hit by the motorcycle. The rider was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injures. The two car drivers were not injured.

Rudeen says the cow was put down by at the scene by a deputy or animal control officer.

******************
You don't say? A car? Wandered onto the freeway? Shocking! Extraordinary! Wow!
Oh, and I'm not kidding about this typo. Check it out yourself. Unless of course the 4th grade editors they have on staff have found their mistake by the time you read this. Regardless, it made me laugh this morning.

And as if this isn't fun enough, I "googled" the word "cow" to find a nifty photo to post. Instead I found this. Now, after you gasp with horror, I realize its in German. But check out their navigational bar....UDDERS! That's udderly hysterical. You "calf" to see it for yourself. It's Mooooo-ving.

Okay, I'll stop. One too many caffeinated beverages this morning.

3 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Take it from a (albeit presently-unemployed) writer, errors like that are worse than bullshit!

(My comments are like little bows of encapsulation... with swear words...)

Nicki said...

That reminds me of 50 First Dates.

And that site? It's the dating site I joined! *throws arms up, sobs*

Daiyne said...

I'm glad that I found this posting. I was hunting all over the internet today for some evidence of when this happened, as my father and I have been arguing about it.
You see, my father was in fact the motorcyclist that hit the "car" (cow)...and he thought sure that it happened October 16th of 2005. And I definitely remember us having surgery one day apart in April 2007...so I knew that couldn't be the case.
But I digress. It's nice to see that someone enjoyed this news bit, although...unfortunately it wasn't me. The newspaper was very wrong about the condition of my father...although eventually he ended up alright-ish.
He did end up much better off than the radio said. While we were hurrying to the Emergency Room at about 4:45 that morning...they announced that the cow was fine and the motorcyclist dead. Now THAT is a terrible typo.
Sorry to go on for so long...