Monday, October 02, 2006

Tienes Cola? (Do you have a tail?)

A phrase more familiar to you would be, "Were you born in a barn?" Meaning, why'd you leave the door open?

Remember the other phrase, when one door closes another one opens. I’ve heard it said, that all to frequently we watch the closed door so fervently that we miss the open one. As it turns out, another door has opened for me, and by god, I actually saw it open. But further, I stepped through it.

My life of late has been a shadow of its former self. All that I held dear seemed to belong to someone else. I’ve lost many a friends in the past years to significant others. Losing my latest friend took a toll on me. He may not even realize he’s lost, and may not even care…or more to the point, perhaps he’s not lost, but I’ve put him away. I've let him go.

Regardless of how low and unfulfilled I’ve felt, suddenly I see light. Forgetting that I signed up for something that truly would add enjoyment into my life, and seeing that come out made me happy for at least a bit.

I signed up many months ago to assist classes at Sur La Table. If you’re not familiar with Sur La Table first let me say, “WTF?”. Then let me add, that really you should make yourself aware of the glorious cooking supply store that is Sur La Table.

Anyhow, this weekend I got a notification from them indicating that they had an opening for several of their classes and would I still be interested in being an assistant to the chef, and/or assisting with the class. Um, yah! Dah!

My first class is tonight. It’s a knife cutting skill class. I’m so excited to start doing something new, something different, and very much something up my ally. This is exactly what I needed. Something to move my focus from feeling left behind, to focusing on something that I truly have a passion for…cooking. And as a bonus, after 5 classes you get a free class or a gift certificate to the store. Oh glory day!

Tomorrow is the “big Interview”. I spent a good portion of the weekend thinking up examples and answers to difficult questions. Then suddenly last night I tossed it all aside. I don’t want to impress this person with my sudden knowledge; I want to impress this person with my extensive knowledge and experience. If I truly have the experience that I feel qualifies me, then no amount of preparation will help me eloquently describe my abilities. I feel enormously confident in tomorrow’s interview. Whether I’m offered this job or not, I still feel good about going into this interview and dazzling them with all that is me.

2 comments:

Al & Jo said...

YOU GO GIRL! MOM IS BEHIND YOU! Probably not what you really need, but I am always there.

Ken La Salle said...

Very cool!

(What? You wanted more?)

;p