Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Old Man is Snoring...

So let's clear a few things up shall we.

1. Elections are over. Thank god. I was tired, tired, tired of the commercials.
2. The democrats got what they wanted, relatively speaking anyhow.
3. The rain has stopped for a nano second here. Long enough for the car wash lines to form. Yes, I was one of those in line.

Now that all that is out of the way, I have a real problem. And this blog is, after all, about me.

Jobs. When you want one, you can't find one. When you don't need one, they're everywhere.

Please keep in mind while you read this, I'm not complaining. In now way, shape, or form should the following be construed as complaining.

But I find myself in a professional pickle with regard to potential jobs. This is all hypothetical, sorta.

Job 1: Remember in October the job I really really really wanted? Then they suddenly stopped interviewing for that job because they had some internal priorities come up. They asked me to hold out at the current gig until January. Yah. Remember that job. Well they called today. They have figured out their "internal priorities" and are ready to send me to the next round of interviews the week of Nov 27th. Keep this in mind...this is where it gets interesting.

Job 2: Boeing. I finally, after several months, have an interview with Boeing tomorrow. Tonight is the dreaded networking dinner. Dreaded? Yes, dreaded. I hate being in situations in which I know no one and have to be someone. Anyhow, their interview is tomorrow.

Job 3: Contract position with major wireless carrier in Redmond. I interviewed with a recruiter yesterday who wants to put me in front of the hiring manager for this "wireless" company. Fine. I'm down with that. However, the recruiter told me they only want to put candidates in front of this hiring manager IF the recruit would take the job if offered. Well, now how am I supposed to know that before interviewing. So I told the recruiter that I would certainly consider the job. This interview is Friday AM.

What's the pickle you say? How could having 3 very strong possibilities be an issue? Here's the issue.

I REALLY want Job #1. That company has been my first choice.

Boeing is an extremely stable company. But they take forever to hire.

Job 3 - didn't like the way the recruiter gave me an ultimatum. What if I interview and I hate the manager?

All three jobs will require commuting.
All are within my salary range with variance down more than up.

My issue is how to play this hand. I don't want to toss any job opportunity to the curve. So, I'm trying to get Job #1 to have the VP interview me earlier via phone (she's located in the UK that's why it's not until later). I can stall the wireless job. And well Boeing is the great unknown.

I'm very thankful I have this "problem". I like having multiple choices, but hate the ambiguity that comes with it. I'm a black and white person most the time...and this "unknown" stuff bugs the shit out of me.

0 comments: