Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Windshield wipers slapping out a tempo....

My mother, bless her, cursed me. She, not more than 1 hour ago, asked me when the Thanksgiving Day storm was supposed to be here. It's a joke to those of us who live and love Seattle. Doing a Thanksgiving dinner when the power goes out...that's a good time.

I should probably catch you up to date as to why mom and I were having this conversation. Friends, Vicky and Ken are heading up here from California as we speak. Ken's brother is getting married this weekend and he and his bride (Vicky) and Ken's family are all up here. They were planning on going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving....so, me, being the nice girl I am, invited them to my place for a real like Turkey dinner. Well, the turkey won't be live. But the entertainment will be.

Since the invite, and the acceptance, Ken has been "preparing" me via Vicky about his "crazy" family. Ken clearly hasn't met the Wraspir clan. We put the "craze" in crazy. Ken assures me that after this Thanksgiving I'll have much more interesting things to blog about than the weather....hey wait? Is that an insult?
So...now that you're caught up. I called mom today asking how long it would take to cook a 21 pound bird in a turkey bag. She called back and told me to open my bag and it would tell me. Surprise! I didn't have a turkey bag, I had a small meat bag for only 8-10 lbs. Yah, the 21 pounder isn't likely to fit, unless I cut it apart and use all the bags on all the parts. This wasn't starting out well.

Off I went to find a Turkey bag. Stopping at Starbucks on the way, because a search for a Turkey bag requires a Grande Vanilla Americano for assistance and courage.
One hour and 4 stores later, I find my bag. BUT.... suddenly the once relatively bright sky is BLACK. And by black, I mean the mean dark clouds that just look like the devil is lurking in them. Now, many of you know of my beloved vehicle, my mustang. The mustang doesn't like water. It's a horse not a fish. Though I'm getting estimates to equip it with snorkel gear. Anyhow, the sky opened up. I'm about 2 miles from my apt, the windshields were pounding out a tempo but it was one fast tempo.


Thunder

Lightening

Rain

Rain

A lot of Rain....


... and then...


Oh Hail!


The roads are white and the hail is coming down in massive amounts of white. My first thought, though not for my safety or the safety of those around me, but rather, "This freakin hail better now dent my car."


The mustang doesn't like hail either. Which just proves my point that any white substance falling from the sky is an invitation for me to stay home from work.


So, turkey bag in hand, extra onion just in case, and the Thanksgiving day storm...I'm all set. Now all I need is the power to go out. Crap. I had to say it didn't I?


3 comments:

Al & Jo said...

I had no idea how powerful my suggestions were! WOW...someone (namley, MY mom) proabably was eavesdropping on our conversation regarding the Thanksgiving Day storm and decided to help you prepare for the BIG DAY! Watch out...you know how she can be!

Mom

Lisa said...

LOL

I stumbled on your blog the other day (after all the freakin monsoon that blew in) and have been checking it out ever since. I'm down the road aways and can SO appreciate your stories about the weather!

Nicki said...

I'm so in the mood for a turkey and stuffing sandwich. I can't wait for dinner!