Friday, November 24, 2006

We're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy!

That was what was on a bumper sticker my Great Aunt Martha sent me when I went off to boarding school in Switzerland. In her letter she sent with the bumper sticker she wrote, "While away from your norm, live, explore, and experience." I called her Auntie M and she was one of my favorite aunts.

Auntie M left us yesterday. She was called to new life in heaven to be with all her brothers, sisters, parents and beloved animals that had passed. It was her time, and I'm glad she's in a happier place today. She'll be remembered in my heart with a smile.

Yesterday was a day to give thanks and even as I write this I get a bit teary-eyed. I hosted Thanksgiving here for friend Vicky, her husband Ken and his family. I originally volunteered to host it because they would all be up here for a wedding and were going to go to a restaurant. Then once they were here I found out they hadn't been together for Thanksgiving for some time and this was an opportunity for them to get caught up. To be able to provide dinner and a place for them to do just that, really meant a lot to me. While I may not have been with my family, I believe the holidays are about doing these types of things. And it fills me with joy knowing I could do it.

The feast included all my family favorites.Me, Vicky and Ken

I have to send a shout out to my mom though. Without her "forcing" me to help her in my younger years, then us doing it together for years as a team - almost looking forward to it - I never would have been able to pull off this feast. And a feast it was. 11 of us ate our way through the day yesterday and everyone left full and happy. Mom and I spoke throughout the day "checking" in to make sure our feasts were coming off without any "surprises." No Thanksgiving can be smooth and without "issues". My turkey wasn't thawed completely - a call to mom to ask what to do. While mom was cooking jello, boiling the water and actually adding the jello to the boiling water and cooking it. Um, yah....All in all though I'm sure her feast was spectacular. I KNOW mine was.

1 comments:

Nicki said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I'm glad you still found a way to enjoy the day.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go wipe the drool off my chin after looking at your spread. YummMAY!!