Saturday, November 02, 2013

A Curtain Tale

I'm not sure if I mentioned, but I've hired an Interior Designer. She's a young gal just starting out and is inexpensive.  Anyhow, she and I have chatted a couple of times and she's provided me with some color ideas for painting the living room.

When she first came to my place she was amused immediately by the kittens.  It took us an hour to just get to my wants.  My big problem is my living room is designed to be a living room and formal dining room.  The thing is, I have too much living room furniture to have two separate rooms...AND I don't need a formal dining room. So, I've opted to make it one big, long living room. 

To add difficulty to the long room, one wall sorta juts out a bit.  So its not a straight line, which makes rearranging difficult.  I've rearranged it a couple of different ways but never really felt comfortable.

The ID made some great suggestions and I took her up on it.  Last Monday Mrs. Landlord helped me rearrange and I love it.  It feels a bit more homey and connected. 

So 1 for the ID.

The second thing she suggested is to paint the wall my fireplace is on a darker color. I've chosen neutrals because I'm not quite that bold when it comes to color.  She gave me two options and I loved them both.  Then Blueberry came over and when looking at the color card she liked a shade darker than the one I already have a sample of on my wall. So off we went to Home Depot today for a sample...and I love it.  The ID may not approve, but I like it.

The third thing she suggested was curtains.  I'm not a fan of curtains generally speaking, but I'm also not a fan of blinds - which is what I have now. You can't clean them no matter how hard you try. So curtains it is. 

I didn't want the old ugly curtains that have a pull string to them. I like the newer looking ones that have huge grommets that slide through a pole.  So Mrs Landlord, Blueberry and I went to Jacque Pennies today (JC Penny's in case you missed that) and we found some great curtains. AND they were on sale.  They're on their way now.

Now all I've got to do is paint and then hang curtains and finally, I hope anyhow, this place will feel a bit more cozy. Photos of before and after, of course, to follow. Though I forgot to take photos of how this place was arranged before I rearranged it. Too bad...

Don't forget to fall back tonight. One extra hour of sleep. Woo Hoo.

1 comments:

ARC said...

Nice! We have months before we'll get to see the results of Grace's work helping us. I painted a bunch of big boards with the paint colors, though and am trying to see if I like them.