Monday, November 11, 2013

Project Management by any other name is herding cats

Its true. Managing projects can be directly correlated to herding cats. I thought I had all my cats together in a nice pin only to find out one escaped.

I consider myself a good PM. I am best at planning and not so great at the execution phase. I tend to lose interest in this phase because the PM doesn't do much but watch the schedule...at least its been my experience. So sometimes during the execution phase I get lazy. And lazy almost always means a cat escapes.

A cat escaped today. And I had to scramble to get the cat back with the rest of the herd.  It was not a fun day in that regards.

In other non PM related work, I put the living room mostly back together. I still need to hang three curtain rods: two will be easy by myself, the third one will take me and a small army.  I'll get that done this weekend - hopefully. Then my new  living room will be ready for all. I can 100 % guarantee there will be photos posted here.

One of my goals this year was an outlandish goal to read 53 books. That's one a week. Last year I read somewhere in the mid-40's so I figured I could do this. I'm a couple books behind and I really don't think I'm going to make it. But dang it I'm gonna give it the old college try (where on earth did that phrase come from?)

In my attempt to read 53 books I included that at least 5 of them had to be what I call "worthy" books as in not a romance novel, vampire novel, or any other teeny bopper book series I find myself reading.  Two of those needed to be PM books so I can add them to my PMP on going education profile. I'm 6 weeks out from the end of the year and have YET to read the two PM books.  I just ordered two from the library so I can get myself started. My luck they'll both be 1000 pages long.

Speaking of long books, this month's book club selection is from Blueberry (side note: Blueberry broke her toe this weekend while helping me paint. Its a long story and only Blueberry could break a toe while painting.). She picked The Pact by Jodi Picoult. I've read this book. I read it a couple of years ago. And it's a long book.  I got the book from the library and started reading...and it's as if I never read it. I swear it feels like a new story to me.  I wonder if I should be worried about my memory. But then I figured maybe the book didn't warrant me remembering. yah, that's it.

Ok. I've done my daily blogging and now I've got to go read. TTFN.

0 comments: