Sunday, November 24, 2013

Another day

It's interesting as you face the potential loss of a loved one, that the easy phrase of "another day" really takes on a whole other meaning. BigBro did get to see "another day".  And I predict he'll continue to see more.

Last night after a tiring day, his body just had had enough. He was having a hard time breathing and starting to panic a bit about it. Ultimately, the calmed him down (with narcotics) and transferred him to ICU. In this case, to me, moving to ICU is actually a good thing. He'll get more care and more attention being there.

Today he was "better" in that he ate just a bit and was not as panicked as yesterday. He rested a good part of the day and when last I heard was "resting" again.  Rest is good at this point, and very, VERY necessary. 

Seattle SIL is holding her own. She's getting by on adrenaline I think. She really hasn't left BigBro's side - save a couple of trips home to change her clothes and check messages.  Someone has always been with BigBro to allow Seattle SIL to run home.  I'm worried about her on a whole other level.  The stress this brings on to caregivers is enormous and I'm watching her like a hawk to make sure she has everything she needs.

The love and prayers and thoughts that have bombarded our family in the past couple of days has been, to put it mildly, overwhelming.  I knew BigBro was loved, but I had no idea just how much. I'm extremely thankful for the 3Day family that has huddled together to make sure we're all ok.  Very soon I'll be taking advantage of their kindness by arranging for someone to take Seattle SIL bags of snacks. Since SIL isn't eating I figured if we could have a bag that has small bags of snack items in it, maybe she'd grab something and eat it. Graze through her day.

The MomUnit and I spent the day grocery shopping for Turkey day...well and for several items of clothing mom didn't pack - and toothpaste, and shampoo, and a brush, and socks, and...it made me wonder what was in her suitcase.

So for now, we are in a holding pattern. Waiting to see what each day will bring us.  I'm hoping for a miracle, or at least a reprieve.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Jenn, I had no idea. Sending good thoughts.