Thursday, November 21, 2013

If you could change one thing about your life right now, what would it be?

I was recently asked this question and then when I started answering it I realized it wasn’t my life I wanted to change, but the life of someone I love. Which I guess indirectly is my life.

I’d change the current cancer suckedness that is going on in my brother’s life.  I would take that all away and give him his life back. There. It’s that easy. If only.

Now if I had to change something specifically about my life, what came to mind is something I can, and should, change.  I would change my eating habits … again.  I would get back on the bandwagon and start working out and eating healthy at the same time.

Right now I’m barely working out (once in a blue moon) and the same applies for eating healthy.  I do, occasionally, but not enough to get me healthy.

I was chatting with Blueberry the other day about this and I stated that I’m not sure what happened to my motivation. In 2012 I was SUPER motivated, and stayed motivated until dad died. Then when dad died, I stopped “trying” but kept myself maintained through the year.  It wasn’t until the time my jogging buddy broke her ankle that I just completely stopped trying. Why is that? Do I really need someone to hold my hand? Apparently I do.

The thing is, I see what being unhealthy does and I can feel the weight that I’ve gained back and I am pissed that I let some of it creep back on. It started with just a pound back on, then two, then a month would go by and I’d weigh myself and it was 5 lbs. Then a month and it was 10 lbs. Then just this week I weighed myself and I’ve gained back 15 lbs.  GAH!! I worked really hard to get that weight off, it seems only fair it would be as difficult to put it back on. If only, right?

So I decided that this weekend I need to come up with my plan. I need to think about and schedule time to work out. I know myself well enough that I can’t go cold turkey and just drop all the habits at once. I feel deprived and it just doesn’t work for me. So I’ll start with working out. Added to that I’ll start making smarter choices when I can. I used to ask myself all the time what was the smarter choice. Just by having that conversation with myself – it gave me pause before I would choose poorly.  I still may choose poorly, but at least it wasn’t a knee jerk reaction. Which sadly my eating habits are.

And I know I’m not alone in this. The diet and health industry wouldn’t be the billion dollar industry it was if we all choose wisely.  

So I’m going to give it the old college try. We’ll see what happens.

This isn’t exactly where I thought this blog was going when I wrote it, but here we are.  So if you could change one thing in your life right now, what would it be?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in the same place as you. For me the first part to tackle needs to be food, though. And then I'll see if I can squeeze in some walking. Let's chat about this sometime and see how we can help each other :)