Thursday, November 07, 2013

The Curtains are in

I totally feel like a grown up now. I have curtains. And they look good.  I'm surprised at how different it makes the room feel. But they're up and now I just have to decide on a paint color. Mrs. Landlord was over tonight and veto'd the color I wanted, so now I have to settle for something else.  Which is fine. I don't own this place, so I guess it seems fair.

In other news, can someone tell me what cats INSIST on putting their toys in their water dish?  Its been going on since the kittens moved in.  For some reason this week it's happening more and more.  Almost hourly I can walk into the kitchen and there will be two or more dead toys floating hopelessly in the water dish.

I, of course, searched the interwebs for answers.

One site suggests that cats do this as a claim of territory.  By placing a toy in their water, the cat is claiming it as their possession because it is within their territory.

Another suggests its security. "Some cats have the urge to secure their toys in an area they consider safe, which relates to the desire of wild cats to secure their prey from other predators. Because they see their water dish as their territory, they consider it a safe location for storing important items, such as their toys."  Huh. Who knew?

Yet another site suggested they were seeking attention. Um, I'm pretty sure my two cats are not seeking attention. They get more than enough and if they say otherwise, they're lying.

None of the sites offered any suggestions to stop this behavior. It really doesn't bother me they do it. Its just that the toys are so gross after spending hours drowning...oh hey maybe they're drowning their prey. 

Right. I'm off to bed, and likely off to rescue another toy mouse from the waterbowl.

0 comments: