Thursday, November 14, 2013

An Early Start

I've been waiting to blog until I'm ready for bed (and hopefully something exciting will happen by then) and I usually get to tired to blog.

Today I'm breaking that pattern and writing early. You're so lucky.

Since I started this new job back in August I've been trying to get my PM muscle to work again.  Not doing traditional PM work for three years made me a bit rusty. So I started rereading a few books I had to get me back into PM mode.

Then I stumbled onto this book on Amazon called the Project Management Memory Jogger. It's a little pocket guide and it gives you the briefest of reminders and tips and tricks.  I got it yesterday and sat down and read the entire book.  It's a 200 page book that's about the size of a 3 by 5 card.  Easy read and it sure helped flex that muscle again. 

My current manager is strong minded when it comes to PM work.  She's so involved in the details and she is so knowledgeable that she sees things I don't see.  I feel a bit inadequate when she shows mentions a risk that I missed.  Feeling that way is what prompted me to find a quick reference guide.

Rereading all the information about the phases really unlocked the PM vault in my noggin.

That coupled with answering PM questions for the classes of the Pantry Goat.  I've been answering their PM questions for about a week now and I love every minute of it. They are asking some very good questions and I am doing my best to be as honest with them as I can. They're young, potential PMs and are like deer in headlights.  I've been trying to explain to them that real life is not at all like the classroom environment. Thankfully.

In other non-related PM news, my living room is almost complete. I should get the last of the curtains in the mail today and get them hung. Once that's done, and I swap out the other curtain rod, I'll take photos. Cuz I know you're dying to see it.

0 comments: