Monday, November 18, 2013

Giving

Thanksgiving is upon is. Just over a week away now.  It is my second favorite holiday (following Halloween).  Facebook is busy with all sorts of friends doing the 30 days of Thanks. Basically every day telling the world what you're thankful for. It's an opportunity to really think about what you've got and be thankful for it.

I think there's a second have to the holiday the giving part. The holidays are a great time to think about what you're doing to give to those less fortunate. 

60Minutes did a special on The Giving Pledge.  This is the program Warren Buffett and The Gates came up with to ask the wealthiest of people to give away half their wealth.  These are billionaires who have pledged to give away half... HALF of their wealth.

I was looking at the list of those who have signed this pledge and am impressed with the  names on it. Further I'm impressed with what half of all their wealth means. That's an extraordinary amount of money to give to a cause. And their causes are worthy.

This time of year I re-evaluate my own giving campaign. I have an allotted amount of money a year I'm happy to give to a cause. A good portion of that goes to the Breast Cancer 3 Day.  The other amounts go to some local animal shelters.  Yet every year I take a look at where else I could give my donations

I am, by no means, talking about the amount of money the billionaires club is, and I know I could probably give even more. I like to think, though, that my little donation makes a difference.  And that's what it's all about. Every little bit helps.  My small donation could be the one that puts an organization over the top in finding a cure to cancer. Or it could be the donation that means an animal shelter stays open another year.  Either way, I'm happy to give.

I wish I would have been more giving in my younger years.  I was barely able to keep myself from going into significant debt (and I was living beyond my means).  Still I gave a little every now and then, but nothing planned or organized.  Now, I'm thankful to be in a place to give on a regular basis.  When I'm retired and living on the street, I'll still be glad I gave to organizations in need.

My other giving that I do this year is to food banks.  I truly think food banks need our help year round and I really should be giving to them year round, but truthfully I forget.  Every time I go grocery shopping I buy those already put together bags of groceries for $10.  I figured through the two months I probably end up donating about $100 of groceries. But again, that $100 can make a huge difference to some families.

So while you're giving thanks for what you have this Thanksgiving season, take some time to do a little giving too. You never know who you'll save.

0 comments: