Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Little Girl gets unleashed

At dinner last night, I retold my story from the other night of going into the “hidden back room” to a few co-workers (who shall remain nameless to protect their innocence – cough cough choke choke. For literally purposes we’ll call them Accomplice Gal 1, and Accomplice Gal 2 – AC for short). AC1 and AC2 twisted my arm to take them to buy purses. I didn’t wanna go, I swear…I went kicking and screaming the entire way. I swear.

We three hailed a cab and off to Canal street we went. Our first attempt to buy “purses” was a flop. The store owner didn’t want to show us her “back room”…so we moved on. Two stores down a small Asian woman asked if we wanted to see her purses. Well, of course. We were, after all, on a search for a bargain.

To the back of the nameless store we went (all these stores are lined on this street and none of them appear to have names or addresses). In the back we saw a wall. Just a wall. Nothing that resembled a door. Then as the thought crossed my mind this door swung open. We were ushered into a small room we’ll call a “holding pin”. Three of us and this little Asian woman all in a small room the size of a closet. My mind was racing with what exactly was going on. There were a few purses, but nothing that seemed like what I had seen the night before. The thought barely cleared my mind when I noticed the small Asian woman removing shelves and bags from a wall. Then a small half door opened. We were then directed to “crawl” through this half door. What the hell was I doing? Inside was a welcoming site…purse upon purse upon purse. There were so many. I was like a kid in a candy store. If I weren’t in public the little girl inside me would have been jumping up and down clapping giddy like.

Anyone who really knows me knows I’m a total purse whore. I love purses. I have several and I love the idea of being able to swap them out at any given time. So going into this room was my dream come true.

$200 later we left. Back into the “holding pin”. The little Asian woman pulled out a walkie talkie to call outside to make sure the coast was clear to come out. Out we came. Bags in hand.

$200 got me
3 “Prada”clutch size bags
4 “Kate Spade” handbags medium size
3 “Kate Spade” hand bags, a bit larger
1 “Burberry bag”
1 “Prada” wallet
1 “Burberry” wallet.

No, they aren’t all for me. I took orders remember. Well, okay one, or two of the Kate Spade’s might be mine. The Burberry bag and wallet are definitely mine. I'm already using them.

If you get any collect calls from the NY State Prison system, answer it. It might be me asking you to donate money for my bail.

3 comments:

Nicki said...

That is hilarious. It should have it's own slogan, "It's the new crack for the Modern Woman".

You'd cry at my purse. I used it and only it for the past 9 years. It's got that "used a lot" leather look to it, though, which is cool.

Vicky said...

Jenn...I understand your purse obsession, but let's just say that mine is much worse. I refuse to buy "purses"...it is the real deal for me. I'm a terrible person...but I so love that pink purse you got.

Jenn from WA said...

FM - I definitely needed an intervention on this one. It was soo addicting.

Vicky - Well if I were as rich as you, I'd buy the real deal too. = )

Kara - I did not know Scott was a native. Its definitely an addictive and exhausting city. but I LOVED IT!