Saturday, August 05, 2006

Start spreadin' the news...

Everything you've heard about NY is true. It's fast paced, high energy, and oh so much to see. The last two days have been nonstop enjoyment. I'm hot. I'm tired. My feet hurt. I'm dehydrate and I'm sunburn. But I can't stop. I'm addicted to NY. I can't even find the words that describes this city that never sleeps.

I had dinner last night with a younger, handsome gentleman - Favorite Nephew Ever (FNE) Stephen- who picked me up at my hotel and showed me NY - in a New Yorker's manner...we walked. We left the Marriott in Time Square and headed, I believe, North-ish. I can't really tell here which direction is what...no mountains or water - well there's water but you can't see it. Anyhow, he took me up to Central Park. We wondered around there and 5th Avenue. All the while the FNE being the perfect, seasoned New Yorker tour guide. We hopped in a cab and headed to Little Italy. One of the items on my list of things to do in my life was to have dinner in Little Italy. And so we did, but not before walking through Soho. Very chic and expensive shops everywhere. The atmosphere there is so unlike what I've been experiencing in Time Square. Time Square, FNE told me, is really a drag because it is such a small part, recognizable part, but small part of the whole NY picture. And now, after the last two days, I get what he's saying.

Anyhow, back to dinner in Little Italy. Oh. My. God. Can I just say I swore I'd never eat again after the meal we had? (and yet I found myself seduced by NY pizza today) FNE picked the best restaurant and ordered this 4 course family style meal. It was after the first course (Caprese Salad - FRESH mozzarella and tomatoes) I knew I was going to be in trouble. And we were. Pay special note to the massive bottle of wine I'm holding in the photo. Interesting thing they do in Little Italy restaurants. When you order you tell them what type of wine - in this case FNE ordered red. The plunked this - relatively full, but opened - bottle of wine in front of us. They charge you based on how much wine is left in the bottle when you're done. Then say if a table next to us, after we've left of course, orders red wine, they'll put that bottle there for them to drink from. Very unwasteful I gotta say. Though FNE and I did a pretty good job of this bottle.

Stuffed to the gills and swearing off food for the rest of our lives, FNE, then announces we *must* try this cannoli from a bakery around the corner. Huh? What? Didn't we just say we would never eat again? But alas FNE was again right. We ordered two mini canolli's...a little slice of heaven I gotta say.

Then to finish off my initiation in becoming a New Yorker, FNE took me on the subway. We gotta get us one of these in Seattle. I'm just saying. Cheap and quick. He promised to show me a subway rat, but we found nothing...darn it - okay so secretly glad we didn't.

By the end of day one, FNE announced that I had officially become a New Yorker in that I had:
1) eaten a "dirty water dog" from a vendor on the street
2) eaten in Little Italy
3) Walked just about everywhere
and
4) ridden the subway

Yesterday I did the Midtown/Downtown bus tour. I sat atop a double decker bus as it drove through the lower part of Manhattan. Excellent way to get in most the sites with little time.

This morning, though, was what I wanted to do most...harbor cruise around Manhattan. I'm so very thankful that 1) I got up early enough for the first cruise and 2) I got up early enough to at least beat some of the heat. It was amazing to see all sides of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Harlem (upper tip of Manhattan island), and the Bronx all on a 3 hour tour. (I know what you're doing...you're singing the Gilligan's island theme...I've been doing it all day). I was supposed to take the Uptown bus tour, but missed the last bus by just minutes. I then decided to wonder up and down the streets in the area to find something to eat. And I did...NY style Pizza. Burp! Nothing fancy, just good ol' fashion cheese.

A strange thing is happening to me today too. I woke up with the annoying and ever so presence pain in my SHINS! I think perhaps they are wondering what the hell I'm doing walking miles a day without first "training" to do so. The optimistic Jenn says to push through the burn. While the pansy Jenn says, "Tylenol. Take Tylenol." Guess which Jenn won?

Tomorrow I actually have to start working...darn it. Work always spoils all the fun.

5 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious. Envious.... and, especially, very happy for you!

Nicki said...

That is so cool you're enjoying yourself to the hilt.

Don't let work get in the way toooo much!

Al & Jo said...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...I WANTTA' BE THERE WITH YOU AND FG (FAVORITE GRANDSON)

Anonymous said...

Shin pain - probably bilateral anterior tibialis sore from increased walking. Keep walking, increase water intake , self massage lower legs (to increase circulation and healing), take NSAID (anti inflammatory) rather than Tylenol (pain relief only)
I may be too late.

Jenn from WA said...

What is NSAID? And where do i get it?