Thursday, August 17, 2006

Day Two of the Mustang Diaries

Don't worry, I'll tire of writing about the little red fireball ... maybe.

I noticed on the way into work this morning - I left later, by the way, so I could drive faster. Setting the cruise control as to avoid any traffic tickets. Anyhow, I noticed that in two days I've gone just about 300 miles in this little car. And have used almost a tank of gas. Perhaps to help the environment I should "curve" my enthusiasm to drive....

Topic Switch
I was looking at my photos of my NY trip and thinking about the parts of it that were truly sensational. Everything ranked pretty high on my "OH MY GAWD this is fun" scale. But one thing keeps coming back to me.

St. Paul's Cathedral at Ground Zero.

Ground Zero, in and of itself, wasn't that moving to me. I expected heavy emotions and instead I felt nothing. But walking through St. Paul's Cathedral and seeing everything there, all the keepsakes, all the memories, all the notes of courage and thanks, that got to me. Choking back tears I meandered through the little church and marveled how being across the street from this disaster the church was relatively undamaged. To stand where many thousands of brave men and women came to rest, get nourishment, and comfort really was felt by me.

I don't know if it was divine intervention that kept this little church standing. But something protected it.

0 comments: