Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Day One of the Mustang Diaries

I knew when I awoke yesterday at the hour before the sun rose, that it was going to be a very frustrating day for me. I had spent the better part of the night fantasizing about where to drive the Mustang. During my trip home from the dealership, it didn't take a moment for me to realize I would truly love driving this car.

After removing the cat who was has been plastered to my side since my return from NY, I rushed through my morning routine. My goal: Get to work in zoom zoom time. I thought an early start would allow for at least more fast driving then normal. I would be wrong.

Rushing outside, I stand and marvel at the beauty that is my car. God she's beautiful. She sat there glistening in the sunlight, begging me to get in and take it for a spin. My eyes passed over the lengthy of the body and took in all the magnificance that was there...wait... what? Is that a scratch? I rush to the car and rub part of the paint pleading it to not be a scratch. At last I realize the metallic paint and the sunshine (and my polarized sunglasses) are merely messing with my vision.

I sit in the driver seat, anxious to turn the key. I know what's waiting for me. The low glutteral purring sound of the V6 engine. And as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, the 'Stang does not dissapoint with the start of the engine. I rev it just a touch - don't want to wake the neighbors - to hear more of the power that is patiently waiting to be unleashed.

In reverse, and here we go. Crap. Stalled it.

I sit in the driver seat, anxious to turn....oh never mind. I started it again, put it in reverse and we were off.

It wasn't long before I realized a cruel joke was waiting for me. Traffic. !@#$% traffic. My commute should have taken me 15 minutes in this monstor muscle car, but instead it took me 1.5 hours of shifting, pushing in the clutch, stoping, ugh.

I got to work and realized I had, in my haste, left my badge at home. I pondered for just a moment if I should drive the 20 miles home to retrieve it. Surely the traffic going that way would be lighter and therefore allowing me to open-her-up. Instead, I planned a lunch with my 'Stang friends in Seattle. Though I decided to take the long route through ... Lynnwood.

Now for those of you who aren't familiar with this area, let me see if I can explain this in terms you'd understand.

Microsoft to Seattle 10 miles.
Microsoft to Lynnwood to Seattle 35 miles.

I'm just saying....sometimes you have to take the scenic route.

I didn't fair so well in this mornings commute either, though I did make it to 3rd gear for about 15 seconds.

The highlight, however, of this mornings commute was my conversation, while driving, with another Mustang driver. He was driving the EXACT car I was, though he has a fin on the back (which for the record I will be purchasing for my car). Now this "conversation" wasn't one of verbal banter. No this was engine-a-engine. He glanced over at me and smiled, I did the same. And as if in perfect harmony, our cars revved their engines at the same time. It was a beautiful moment.

2 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Ah, the beauty of the 'Stang. As a previous Mustang owner, I totally understand.

Jenn from WA said...

Finally. Someone gets its. Thanks Ken.