Thursday, August 03, 2006

Give my Regards to Broadway

I'm embarking on my NY adventure tonight (red eye flight out - ugh). A little anxious, but excited.

Half of the trip will be for work and half for fun. It's the fun part with which you'll need to be concerned. Because I know you all would love to go with me and experience NY Jenn style, (camera in hand taking fab photos of anything and everything - my little keepsakes) I wanted to be sure you were all aware that I would be posting my adventures here on my blog. AS WELL AS, my new flicker site will contain photos of my NY adventure.

Don't be shy, check them out.
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennwraspir/

All that being said its the 11th hour and Jenn, Queen of packing 14 weeks before a trip, has yet to pack. The small apartment (aka the suitcase) I'll be bringing with me has been sitting in the middle of the living room mocking me every night. I really don't want to pack. Which is weird for me considering I love packing.

Last night I moved the suitcase, after taking the cat out of it, to the room. That's a start right? I did put the "work" related items in the suitcase - so that's at least something.

The last day at work has been painful. I made a couple of what I consider minor mistakes - you know I'm human and all - which caused my main boss person to "lose trust in my abilities". Ouch! That's way harsh. As I mentioned, in my opinion the mistakes I made were not earth shattering, they were fixable, and really minor (forgot the dial in number for a meeting and had to run back to my office to get it - and - had a duplicate piece of information in a massive slide deck that's laden with content - see..not so bad). His concern is that I am not able to see the big picture of this tradeshow and he's worried that I'm not paying enough attention to detail. Ok. Got it! After his rant though, what existed of my confidence was gone. So naturally the next thing I had to do was for him.

Confidence taking a vacation, I dove into this next task. Once completed, I sent it to Stressed Boss and told him in bold letters - THIS IS A DRAFT. I wanted him to glance through it and let me know if I'm on the right track. I didn't want to continue if what I was doing wasn't anywhere near what he wanted. His response mirrored the rant of earlier. So at this point, I need to work EXTRA hard to gain his trust back. I know he's super stressed...I get it. I'm super stressed and am therefore taking things more personally than I should. But good grief.

In other news, I've not heard hide nor hair from the crush since Sunday. But that doesn't surprise me too terrible much. (Where'd that phrase "hide nor hair" come from anyhow?")

1 comments:

Lesley said...

The only advice I can offer for packing is pack stuff you won't get too hot in because it's hotter than a bastard out here!

Having said that, most New Yorkers wear a lot of black. I do it too, even when it's 100 degrees. I don't ask why, I just do it.

If you wear sneakers (or tennis shoes if that's what you call them where you are) you'll stand out as a tourist. If you have some very comfy non-sneakers, I'd suggest you wear them instead. We make fun of the tourists. It's just the way it is.

I hope you have a great time in my fair city!