Sunday, August 13, 2006

There's no place like home....

Hold on to your seats boys and girls. This is going to be a whirlwind blog. I have from Thursday night thru Saturday to tell you all about. That is, if I can remember. It’s gone by so fast I can barely remember an hour ago.

Thursday afternoon my St.Louis Sister-In-Law (SLSIL) arrived at Grand Central. It was sure good to see a familiar face that promised hours of entertainment after a week of work stuff. Quickly dumping her bags at the hotel we were off to find a place for a cocktail.

FNE was to meet us later for dinner. Two beers into it we finally get a call from FNE asking where we were and did we know what was going on outside? Huh? Outside? We glanced up from our cocktails and WOW what a site. It was pouring. I’m not talking just a simple little drip drop. No. This was the type of down pour in which you even think about going out in it and you’re soaking wet. FNE arrived – not so drenched because he had his umbrella – smart boy. But the thunder and lightening was amazing. It was rattling off the cement jungle like nothing I had ever heard. Fascinating.

Once we thought it died down enough to venture outside to find a cab, we were off to dinner. Pete’s Tavern. One of the oldest taverns in NY. I forget off hand exactly when it was established, but it was the early 1900’s or so. The cab dropped us off about 50 years from the place. It was still raining significantly. FNE and I made a mad dash for the bar awning and by the time I got there I was soaked. SLSIL has the umbrella so she was just fine. We didn’t care though; we were in for a treat. Nice little quaint bar and dining area and absolutely fantastic Pinot Noir.

Because of the rain, we knew Friday would be super clear. So SLSIL and I got up and headed to the Empire State Building. I had been down there earlier in the week to check it out and saw the line was 2.5 hours long. So we wanted to get an early start to avoid the lines. And avoid the lines we did. It maybe took us 30 minutes to get in the building, buy our tickets, wind our way up to the elevators and onto the observation deck (which for the record is 102 stories high). What a view. FNE was right, you could see forever…well, at least into Jersey. It was spectacular. To see all of Manhattan laid out below you like a maze was truly a breath taking sight. I felt all Sleepless In Seattle up there…well, with the exception of no Tom Hanks and about 150 other people, but still. I knew instantly that I was in love with the massive city that was laid out before me. Like the Grand Canyon, pictures can’t do it justice.

Regaining our breath from the view, SLSIL and I braved the subway system ourselves. STSIL is surprisingly good at navigating the several thousand miles of underground transportation. We snaked our way to none other than Canal Street to by, of course, more purses. I realized at this point that I may need an intervention for the whole buying purses thing. I was hooked. But we got there and into a shop for “purses”. I still hade a few to buy for other people, but I couldn’t pass up the Pink and Black Gucci bag. I just couldn’t. It called to me. It “made” me buy it. And its sooo damn cute.

While SLSIL and I were wondering after my purchases, a woman came to us and asked us if we wanted to buy purses and to follow her. SLSIL and I follow, only this lady was leading us away from the main drag and down a road that just didn’t seem right. My hair stood up on my neck and I knew we should turn around. Finally, I spoke up and told SLSIL that we were not going that way. Try as the woman might, she really wanted us to come with her, we headed back. Who knows what would have been waiting for us.

Regardless, we were hustled into another “back” room – though neither of these were quite as “back” room as the one the day or so before. LV, Gucci, Prada bags in hand, we were off. Next stop: Bloomingdales.

I’ve never been in a Bloomingdales and I think I’m very glad there is not one in the general states around me. SLSIL twisted my arm to buy things. She did. I swear. She decided to do a quick make-up make over, so as I was sitting (resting my feet actually since they hurt like crazy); Victor the make-up artist was assisting SLSIL, but could have sold me ocean front property in Arizona. He was so fun and easy going. $100 later I had new make-up brushes, eye concealer and lip gloss. God I love NY.

We rounded out our shopping spree at Macy’s. SLSIL was looking for some cute little items for her granddaughter – aka my Great Niece. We had just a few minutes to spare to make it back to the hotel, dump our loot and off to meet FNE for dinner. He had told me the night before to take the Red #1 subway from 42nd and 6th to get us to his neck of the woods. SLSIN and I walked to 42nd and saw no Red #1 subway train. But we were old pros at this by now, so surely we could get to Soho from here. Down into the bowels of NY we went searching for a train that would take us south. We asked the attendant who pointed us to the “V” train. Easy enough, it’ll drop us off on Houston Street, which was where we were to meet FNE.

15 minute ride, and we are at the end of the line. They announce we must depart. Which was fine considering it was Houston street anyhow. We ascend to the light and SLSIL says, “huh, this doesn’t seem like our type of neighborhood.” And in fact, it was a bit unlike where we would have preferred to be. So instead of trying to figure out which way to go we call FNE and ask where to meet him. Once we explain where we are we hear this, “Dude, how’d you get there?” Which meant of course we were no where near where we should have been. FNE suggested we get in a cab and head to Houston and Hudson. A $7 cab ride later we find FNE. We were no where near where we should have been. He gave us such crap all night. Though he did admit that he mayhap directed us incorrectly to the subway location.

We wondered through Greenwich for 30 minutes or so. We had reservations for dinner and had some time to kill. We found this amazing bakery that’s “famous” called Magnolia’s, who specialized in cupcakes…and specialize they do. We bought 3 for dessert and made our way to dinner. Tonight’s cuisine was Cuban. This little tiny, dinky restaurant…Havanna. Again, amazing food. Oh and the pitcher of Sangria was out of this world.

Stomachs full, we hopped a cab to the theater district to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. A hilarious show to be sure. I found my sides aching at times from laughing so much.

Oh I almost forgot. While walking around after dinner, SLSIL “forced” us to go into this up scale grocery store. I had to find a restroom anyhow, so why not. As we were leaving though I saw a star. And not just any star, but Vizzini. You know, from Princess Bride.

Saturday dawned another beautiful sunny day. The humidity, thank god, had gone away. It was just sunny and about 75F. Perfect weather for trekking around NYC.

We hopped another subway, navigated expertly by SLSIL. Off at City Hall. Beautiful buildings this City Hall. This area is where Law&Order is filled. I’m not a huge fan, but it is fun to see places in person that you see on TV all the time. It makes TV more real.

A short walk to the West and we found ourselves at Ground Zero. We walked through this amazing church called St. Paul’s Cathedral. This church is basically in the “blast” direction of most the dust and rubble. Yet miraculously it sustained no damage. Instead it became a haven for the service men and women who were working at Ground Zero. It offered them a place to rest themselves and get food and water. This was a moving moment to me. Hundreds of thank you cards, art work of appreciation and courageous words decorated this church.

Ground Zero itself was nothing spectacular. It’s no longer a hole in the ground or anything other than a construction site. What was amazing, however, was the expansiveness of it. To be able to stand there and see just how large these buildings were and how much area they took up. That, in and of itself, was truly humbling.

We then started walking, I think, south toward the Brooklyn Bridge. Our goal was to walk out to the middle and get spectacular photos of Manhattan and the East side. And that we did. The bridge itself is truly breath taking. I know I’ve said this time and again on my journey in NY, but the architecture here is stunning and brilliant.

By this time, my feet were screaming for me to stop. Stop punishing them any further. I suggested we stop for lunch and then go about our business. A small little bar just down from there was a great place to stop and have a bite and a rest. My poor feet. They were tingling so much that the tingle was working its way up my legs, through my body and out my eyes. I know, that sounds weird. But I could feel the pain through my eyes it was that bad. These feet, apparently, were done seeing NYC.

Then came the highlight of my trip. Okay, maybe not really, but it was, for me, a treat. We found the Chelsea Market. If you’re a Food TV fan you know the Chelsea Market. Not only is the network located there, but it’s the most amazing market I had ever seen. It wasn’t at all what I expected as I had the image of an actual open air market in my mind. Instead it was specialty shop after specialty shop of amazing new items that were beckoning for me to try, taste, or buy. At the end of the market we found the Food TV network doors. SLSIL, also a FN fan, and I had to have our photo taken there. We just had to.

After the Chelsea Market, I begged for a break. Pleaded really. SLSIL just wanted to go, go, go…as did I, but my feet had other plans. Having some sympathy for me, we subway’ed ourselves back to the hotel. Dropped our bags, and let our feet relax a bit. But SLSIL wouldn’t allow that for long. She had some kind of ants in her pants. Soon we found ourselves walking to Central Park. It was a beautiful evening, so why not.

Once at CP I suggested that we do a horse drawn carriage ride. I had, effectively, done everything else in NYC that I wanted, this was just icing on the very adventurous cake. Charlie, our horse, drug us through the beautiful park. His “owner”, Emmett, occasionally adding in tour guide items and pointing out landmarks. That was another 30 minutes rest for my weary footsies.

But dinner was to be had yet. We walked the rest of 5th Ave. The side of 5th Ave that I will never shop in, nor any of my relatives. Why couldn’t we be from old money? FNE drug us into this hotel exclaiming that a place that served the best burgers ever was inside. I couldn’t see how, but what the hell. And sure enough, in a dark hall way we say a little, tiny, neon sign that simply read “Burgers” with an arrow pointing to the right. Inside the door, and sure enough, a burger joint. In fact, called “Burger Joint”. It was a tiny hole in the wall, that truly did serve up on helluva burger.

Full, happy, sore feet, and ready for a drink, we found an Irish pub and sat and watched some sports. While sitting, (I have to tell you this story) a young man – maybe mid twenties – walked in carrying a teddy bear over his shoulder. He sat at the bar in front of us. It was clear to all of us that he wasn’t playing with a full deck when he placed the teddy bear on the bar and said to it, “You okay?” Whatever. He ordered a shot, almost choked on it. Paid his bill – not tipping the waitress accordingly because he felt she was rude to him. Though he stated “You probably think I’m a whack job, and I am.” No argument here. Clearly a whack job. But amusing and only in NY was all I could think.

So my NY adventure has come to an end. I’m sitting in the airport awaiting my flight – delayed of course. I’m so tired, and in a way ready to come home. But after this last week I’m not sure how Seattle can compare to this city called New York.

0 comments: