Thursday, May 18, 2006

Can I have my stapler back?

"They moved my desk 4 times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels and they were married, but then they moved my desk and they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler."

Who doesn't love the movie Office Space? If you've seen the movie you know the character Milton who has this issue with his red Boston Stapler and he's very particular about it.

About 5 days ago, my very own Swingline Stapler went missing. I have been, for 5 days now, commenting and complaining, both under my breath and out loud to my office mate, that someone stole my stapler. It pissed me off. Microsoft has a HUGE office supply business here and getting a new stapler isn't that big of deal. So why am I complain you ask?

Well MY stapler is special. It was "borrowed" from said company my first time around in the late 1990's and has been at my side ever since. Gleefully stapling massive amounts of papers together and never once complaining about its job. Its relatively small but useful stapler. And the point isn't that I can easily go get a new one, it was that someone came into my office and TOOK my stapler without bringing it back.

Now anyone who knows me knows I am very capable of kicking a dead horse until its -er - ah - dead. Anyhow...as I've said, I've been bitching (with humor of course) about this damn stapler. Yesterday I was sitting at my desk, and I was commenting to someone about it. He pointed to my monitor stand and asked if that was the "missing" stapler.

Hmmm? I don't remember being so organized as to put it there?

And then I remembered...I remembered putting it there to get it out of my way when reviewing legal papers oh about 5 days ago.

So here I was carrying on like some prom queen that had been stood up by her date, and the damn stapler was right in front of me the entire time. I'm such a dork. A fun loving, amusing, constantly doing stupid things like this... dork! But a dork none the less.

Now where'd I put my car keys?

7 comments:

Nicki said...

Thank God I'm not the only one that particular about my office supplies.

Ken La Salle said...

That's so funny. In the version of Office Space that I saw, Milton said the squirrels were "merry", but in yours they were "married". Now, one of us misheard it, but which one? The one who thinks they squirrels had a ceremony with a cake and a honeymoon?... or the one who thinks they're gay?

Jenn from WA said...

Ken - I must confess, I took that quote STRAIGHT from a website. But now I feel I must also go home this minute and put in the flick of all flicks to determine the exact wording. = )

BTW Freak - My favorite pen has now gone missing...damn these people here...

Nicki said...

LOL. That is so funny. I have "special" pens, and rip people a new one when they walk off with one.

Jenn from WA said...

It's inconsiderate and insensitive the way innocent pens get manhandled in my office. I've debated on wearing my "pen" as a fashion accessory, but am going with the general rule of thumb that it might be too geekish.

Al & Jo said...

Mom says you all need professional help!!!! Good heavens!

Jenn from WA said...

Good to know at least the Apple didn't fall far from the tree in the need for professional help category.