Friday, May 19, 2006

My God - What have I done?

I think I've mentioned a couple of times in my blog, that while I'm not the Queen of Technical assistance. I can generally "get by" on common sense and experience when technical matters confront me. Most programs I've worked with are intuitive and any moron who's worked on a computer can usually work their way through.

I have met my nemesis...iTunes/iPod

Remember how I've told you about my virus (on the computer not MY virus). Well, I solved that problem by getting a new computer with Mom's gracious assistance (though she's having the bill sent to me. I'm not sure what that means...). Last night I spent three hours trying to move my music off the one computer to the other.

With the help of a some research a friend found for me (Thanks Gary!) I thought I had a plan. I read the directions which said, and I quote, "To synch your iPod with iTunes, plug in your iPod."
Check.

A message appears asking if I'd like to synch my libraryies. That means TWO, right? So in my mind the committee (that's what I call the voices) thought, "Great. That'll synch my iPod library to my iTunes library" So we said Yes. And now...drum roll please...We have ONE song on my iPod. One song!

It totally synched my empty Library to my iPod. THEN I finished reading the directions.

Did I mention I'm technically challenged? I think I have that male gene. You know the one? The one where they don't read directions. Yah. I've got that one.

The directions continue to basically explain that the iTunes library over-rules the iPod one.

Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!

So I got smart. I thought. (No comments from the peanut gallery please). I tried transferring the songs via jump drive. It worked. ONLY if the jump drive was actually attached to the computer would the songs play. After 450 songs being transferred I decided to test them...and THAT's when I discovered it would only work if they were on the jump drive.

I tried to copy / paste them. I tried to Import them. I tried to convert them. No not to Catholism but to Windows media files instead of iTune files - though if being Catholic would help at this point....I'd give. It wins.

Calgon take me away!

Does ANYONE out there know how this can be done? I dread the idea of sitting on a customer service call with some guy from India who's name is "Sam". The biggest problem is I can't get iTunes opened on the OLD computer. I think if I could I'd be fine because then I could BURN the songs...

Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!

So I'll spend the weekend listening to my ONE song on my iPod...over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. Again. It give stuck song syndrom a whole new meaning.

*******
Side Bar: Spell check for Blogger wanted to replace iPod with "wiped". HOW FUNNY IS THAT? Or is that ironic?

3 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Yeah, and I'm thinking of buying an iPod... maaaaayyyybe later...

Nicki said...

I'm with Ken. I'm thinking life is much easier without an iPod.

And I'll call you when I'm having computer problems. You can help me, as I'm always totally lost.

Jenn from WA said...

UPDATE: This weekend I was successful. A friend from my previous Catalysis days - thanks Viv - explained to me how to update my new computer. I was successful. I now have my music on that computer and am happily burning CDs so if this were to happen again, I'd be okay.