Monday, May 01, 2006

My Coffee Colored World

Its no secret. I'm a coffee girl. I love the stuff. I drink at least one Americano a day...and depending on the day, that may increase to two. Today, though I met my limit. I've purchased FOUR coffee. Yes. You read that correctly. Four!

I stopped at my favorite Tully's - you know the one, the one I got locked out of my car and the girls inside are now like family to me - yah that one. I ordered, well actually I didn't order they know me now and just made my drink. Scary. Picking up the coffee, I turned to put some cream and sugar into my coffee, and my hand just magically opened. I know you've done that. Where you're not sure what your brain is telling your hand, but your hand interprets it as "release". So, 16 ounces of goodness hit the floor. Its amazing how much real estate 16 ounces of fluid can cover...If I were a math person I could do the math and tell you, but I'll be the marketing person and say, "ITs a LOT!"

Tully's offered to give me a new one. I felt bad for being stupid and dropping it so I "tipped" the girls for the second. Now out $5 I head to my car.

All seemed right. All seemed well. Until....

I get out of my car at work, and realize the seam of the coffee cup isn't exactly holding closed. There appears to be a leak in the dam - any movement could mean disaster. Precariously holding the seam together, I ponder whether I can make the two doors requiring I badge myself through, an elevator, and about 50 yards to make it to the kitchen. I tried, in vain, I realized by the time I reached the first door that it just wasn't going to hold. As I was tossing it in the garbage it burst. Coffee everywhere!

Now here's an interesting fact, and truly one to mark the history books with. I have yet to actually wear any of this coffee mess on me. That's right. I'm not wearing any of them...yet. And I'm wearing white.

So now that I'm Coffee-less in Seattle, I decide to just swing by the coffee stand in the cafe here. The barista says, "I'm sorry, but we don't have any lids." Are you kidding me? I must have a lid. Ugh.

Carefully carrying the THIRD coffee up stairs, I think to myself, I could never be a waitress. I'd never get the drinks to the tables without spilling. Watching my every step, and watching the hot coffee ebb and flow in the cup. But all is good. I'm not wearing it. I'm not spilling it...all is good.

I make it to my office, put the coffee down behind my purse. Yah. You see it coming don't you? My purse...the same purse I purchased SPECIFICALLY because it stands up and doesn't flop over. Yah well, it flopped. And completely knocked my un-lidded coffee all over the place. Ugh.

I sat and pondered whether I should go down for another coffee. Laughing despite myself, I decided I'm determined to have a cup of coffee this morning. If it means I need to stay put in the cafeteria to have it. So be it. I gathered another $2.50 and sauntered down, the barista laughed out loud at me...of course...She put my new coffee in a bigger cup hoping to ward off all the evil spirits...

I'm proud to say I'm three quarters done with this cup - so I think I'm good.

As for my weekend, I'd love to tell you stories of excitement and adventure, but my adventures were of the movie kind. Watched 5 movies this weekend and did almost nothing. I did make an EXCELLENT dinner for myself on Friday. I didn't have the recipe, and couldn't print it off because of the dumb virus on my computer, but thought I was a talented enough cook to pull it off. And so, I made Spaghetti & Meatball Stoup. You gotta love Rachel Ray. She's my hero. I've had Spaghetti&Meatball Stoup for three days running now. Burp!

The movie list for the weekend.
Memoirs of a Gesha - LOVED IT
The Smartest Man in the Room - The Enron story...excellent documentary. Royally pissed me off ... but a good story
When Harry Met Sally - Classic stand by for me and my need to watch movies
Little Mermaid - Had to sing a bit
And finally, Pirates of the Caribean - got sucked into another Johnny Depp movie, the 5th Gate or something like that, and felt the need for a little Johnny.

3 comments:

Al & Jo said...

I swear...you and your coffee! Are you wearing it yet???? YOu are really tempting fate! White and a bad coffee day.

Nicki said...

I've just started drinking coffee, but I'm quickly getting into it. What do you suggest?

Jenn from WA said...

No, mom surprisingly I didn't wear it at all yesterday. Shocker I know. Though today the Girls at Tully's - whom I think I will refer to as Twirls (Tully's Girls) gave me a free cup of coffee this morning after I recounted my tale of whoa.

Freak Magnet - I, personally, drink a Vanilla Americano with room. I like cream and sugar in my coffee. I secretly believe my Americano has "less" calories than the others. Its a lie, but its fun to dream. That's the same logic I use when I explain to friends that by baking cookies you bake away the calories.

But my ALL time favorite drink - which is LADEN with calories is a Mocha Breve. Don't get them at Starbucks, because they're gross there. But anywhere else...mmmm. Its basically a mocha made with Half and Half instead of milk. Its my "treat" to me when I'm feeling skinny, which isn't often...but eh.