Sunday, May 14, 2006

Lock 'er down

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I locked myself out of my car? The karma world must have cursed me at that point. Only it was delayed...apparently.

It seems since I've injured my back (which, btw is 100X better-thanks for asking) my mind has taken a brief vacation. I'd blame the muscle relaxants, except I only take them at night...now unless I can conjure up an explanation that there's a residual effect. Which I suspect logically may be the cause. But I'm sticking to the curse idea.

Oh yes, the point. Let's get to that. Now stay with me on this one. There are several elements that lead to perhaps an explanation as to why I'm leaving things to unlock. You're welcome to come up with an excellent explanation if you'd like. I seem to have been unable to lock things that normally should be locked. I.e. front door, sliding door, and of course the car.

I have about $10,000 worth of Columbia Wind Breakers in the back of my car. Now granted they are branded with "Microsoft Speech Server" but still, they're nice. I have them in the car because our Partner Summit is Monday and Tuesday and I have the biggest car in our team, so I'm transporting them. They've been in my car since Thursday night. EACH night I've left the car unlocked. I-KID-YOU-NOT!!! My officemate would kill me if she knew...they are, after all, her jackets.

Friday was a successful Cocktail Party. This cocktail party theme was a "Surprise Activity from Microsoft". Basically inviting all my friends up, bribing them with Salmon and cocktails to help Monica and I stuff 200 binders with 9 different PowerPoint decks. Monica and I got to my place at 3pm on Friday and got started. As soon as we opened the decks we found that 5 of the 9 were printed incorrectly. After several expletives we got a solution going for those, and she and I started with the remaining three. I, being the eternal hostess, made a vat of cosmopolitans - but with rum. And we got started. By the time said slave labor showed, Monica and I were done. Not only were we done with the binders, but we were relatively "done" if you get my drift. We'd been drinking since 3 and it was 7 or so.

My point to that story was that we transported the binders into my apt through my sliding glass door. Now stay with me.

Yesterday I spent the day stuffing the binders with the remaining 5 decks that were delivered Friday night at/about 10PM. I decided to BBQ last night for dinner, so headed to the grocery store. When I got back from the grocery store, I realized - the moment my key hit the door and did nothing - that I had left my front door unlocked. I had to laughed despite myself.

Then as I went to the back slider I realized it was unlocked. Laughing that it had been unlocked since Friday. Only, now here's the funny part to me. Today - being Sunday - I popped open my slider to let the beautiful sunshiny weather in (yes its sunny and yes I'm still in Seattle - its a rare day to be sure) and my slider was unlocked AGAIN. Ugh.

For most of us, locking our cars, houses, etc is like putting on underwear - assuming of course you wear underwear and if you don't, please don't share that with me.

2 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Hey, if you're the one leaving everything unlocked, I'd suggest you double-check your undergarment situation ASAP!

Jenn from WA said...

LOL...made me look...