Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Viva Mexico! O America!

Okay, I can't stand it. I've remained somewhat silent on this immigration issue in my blog. I don't like to be political or really "voice" my opinion. I have been walking the fence on how I feel about it. But there are a few things I know to be true to me.

Disclaimer: I respect your right to not agree with me. So please respect my right to have an opinion.

Granting amnesty to the millions of illegal immigrants would be wrong. The bottom line is still painfully obvious: those people who lack legal documentation to be in the U.S. should not be accorded any kind of official status. Period. The U.S. is still very open to immigration, but only when it's done the proper way.Crossing the border illegally and taking up residency, then attempting to demand official status ipso facto while simultaneously deriding everyone already legally here as being somehow less deserving of their existing legality, based purely on race, is just flat-out wrong.

It would be an enormous slap in the face to the immigrants who came to this country and did so legally, then petitioned to be citizens. What I can't for the life of me understand is WHY are these "illegal" immigrants not trying to become citizens legally? What's blocking them?

And since when do we allow lawbreakers to demand that we rescind the laws they don't like? And since when do foreign nationals get to make American laws? Spare us the sob stories! They're only minor distractions from the real issue, which is our national sovereignty. Amnesty is NEVER an option. Any psychologist will tell you that rewarding bad behavior only causes it to reoccur.

It would be nice to see some immigrants acknowledging that the American public in general feels differently about "legal" immigrants than it does about illegal immigrants. I was lucky enough to be born here and don't begrudge anyone the opportunity to try to live the American dream - but part of that is meeting your legal obligations. Like applying for a Visa, and paying taxes, and not stealing an existing American's identity so you can get a better-paying job, or utilities, or credit, or residency.

What other country in the world could you...1) enter ILLEGALLY, 2) march down the street waving your native flag (an American Flag), and 3) demand social services and rights?

I saw an interesting poll yesterday in the news. 57% of American's polled think the "marches" yesterday were counter productive to what these immigrants are trying to say.

2 comments:

Al & Jo said...

I couldn't have said it better!

Nicki said...

Don't even get me started. We were arguing this at work today. One guy was saying, "Who's going to work the jobs they'll leave vacant? Nobody wants them." I said, "Nobody wants them because they don't pay because the immigrants will come and work them for nothing. Pay people more and they'll work the jobs."

Grrr. grrr. rrrr